one

"Just a few more minutes" I hear my best friend, Lexa, mumble to herself. Yes, just a few more minutes. It seems to be taking forever for the clock to hit four. 

"Psst Malia" Another friend of mine, who's name is Louis, says pulling me out of my trance. I turn around and look at him. 

"Wanna come to the park after school? You can bring Lexa by the way, i'm sure 'someone' wouldn't mind her joining" I laugh knowing exactly what 'someone' he was referring to. 

"I heard that, fuck you both" Lexa said flipping us off without even bothering to face us which made us giggle even more. 

"Uhh I don't think i can but i'll let you know" He smiled and i turned back around.

You see Lexa kinda has a thing for Louis' best friend Luke. They've been talking and it's pretty obvious that they like each other but neither of them want to admit it. It's cute though. I wish i had something like that. Everyone keeps saying i'll find my person but after my last breakup, it's hard to believe love is even real.

"Mal? Are you okay?" Lexa says tugging on my arm. I notice everyone left already. I didn't even notice the bell ringing. 

"Yeah sorry i was just thinking again" I give her a light smile. 

"You've got to stop doing that" Yeah it happens quite a lot. I get lost in my thoughts so easily. I mean i don't mind it, i prefer day dreaming over the cold and harsh reality.

"So are you coming to the park?" We walk in the rain. The first day of summer and it's raining? Can you believe that! And i have to walk home today!

"Uhh nah i'm just gonna head home, i'm a bit tired. You should totally go though, you know Luke's gonna be there" I smirk. I wasn't tired. Not at all actually. I was sad about a breakup that happened months ago. I know, pathetic, but sometimes i just randomly get the need to be sad about it. It just kind of pops up i can't help it. I try to be happy for everyone but i really just miss having that one special person myself.

"Oh shut up" She walks in the other direction.

"Have fun! Not too much fun though" I yell before seeing her flip me off. 

Fuck, i'm soaked. I search my bag for my keys. Are you kidding me. How could i forget my keys? I'm a fucking idiot. I would go to the park where everyone else is but i'm really just not in the mood to see everyone having fun and being all lovey dovey. I decide to go to my 'secret spot'. I mean it's not that much of a secret but i like going there to clear my mind. At least i still have my phone and my headphones. Sometimes i really feel like music is the only reason why i'm still here. It really just gets my mind off everything. I like how it can make you feel certain emotions, just by listening. Like isn't that crazy? 

I walk off to my secret spot while listening to Cocaine by Pink Sweat$, and getting even more soaked. It's starting to get dark. I arrive at the beautiful spot. It's on a hill, there are Cherry Blossom trees everywhere and you look out over the whole city. It looks like it could be pulled straight out of one of those really aesthetically pleasing animes. 

I sit down on the green bench where i usually sit. There are a few other people here, like around three i would say. Perfect timing, i'm just in time to watch the sunset. I continue listening to my sad playlist. I often sit here and wonder what my perfect life would look like. I wouldn't be in school and i would be travelling the world with my soulmate. We would accidentally meet and we would fall in love overtime. We would move to New York or maybe Hawaii or even Rome. We would start a family after spending our first years together going on adventures and enjoying every part of each other. We would love each other endlessly. 

That's what i always imagined my life being like with my shitty ex-boyfriend Max. But clearly that didn't workout. Even though he treated me like shit towards the end of our relationship, the first two months or so were amazing. I miss him. No, i miss that. I miss the feeling he gave me. Not the person he was. 

"Hey, are you okay?" I didn't even realise a tear escaped its way from my eyes and fell onto my cheek until the unfamiliar boy, who was now sitting beside me, interrupted my thoughts. I don't reply. I want to but i can't get it out of myself. I look at the boy. Dirty blond hair, rosy cheeks and green-ish eyes. Or brown maybe, i can't really tell. We keep eye contact for around ten seconds until he breaks the silence again.

"Rough day?" 

"Uh yeah ish? I guess yes" I can't help but feel intimidated by him. I hear him let out a light chuckle.

"Yeah, me too. I hope you don't mind me sitting her, i can sit somewhere else if y-"

"Don't worry about it it's fine" I say giving him a smile. He smiles back. Eye contact. Again. I turn my gaze back to the sun that's setting over the city. I can't help but feel intrigued by the boy. We both turn to each other at the same time.

"What's your-" "What's your-" We both say at the same time. I feel a light blush rising upon my cheeks. Shit, that was embarrassing. Great way to make a first impression Malia. I mentally facepalm myself.

"Ruel, yours?" He laughs at my blush. Ruel? That's a strange name. For sure not one you'd normally hear.

"Malia" I smile at him.

"Well Malia, what were you listening to?" He asks pointing at my phone, referring to when i was still alone and listening to music. 

"Oh i was listening to Ghost Town by Kanye West. I love that song" I give him a light smile.

"No way! Me too, Kanye's music is amazing" He smiles back. And again, we hold eye contact. Until i feel my phone buzz. I look at it and see i have a text from my mum.

mumz

hey, dinner's ready in 20

i'll be home in 10 :)

I reply to my mum and i can see Ruel watching from over my shoulder. I want to get to know him better. I stand up from the bench and i see Ruel looking up at me. Well he doesn't really have to look up, he seems tall.

"Uhm Ruel this might sound weird but are you like uhm free to hangout tonight maybe? I know it's already late but uhm yeah i feel like doing something instead of sleeping tonight" I ask nervously which just results in another chuckle from the boy.

"Yeah sure i'm down, just give me your number and we can hangout tonight" I put my number in his phone, we said our goodbyes, and now i'm heading home.