Chapter 15

His brother is an idiot. A loveable idiot that he'd kill for, but still.

Ben arrives in his office the next morning and there Poe sits, like he's some kind of crown prince, behind Ben's desk.

Before he can remind him that's his chair, Poe stands and claps. Fucking claps. Like the idiot he is.

"It's about fucking time," Poe says, still giving his brother a standing ovation.

"Shut up Poe and get out of my fucking chair," Ben responds, tossing his briefcase to the sofa.

"I'm just saying, it's been a year, I mean, damn, you are supposed to be a good influence on me. You are the older brother. Instead I get How to take your Fucking Time Moving in on a Hot Chick."

In response to that, Ben simply reaches over, grabs his baby brother by the back of his collar and throws him out of his office.

Poe is cackling like a hen so Ben guesses the point was missed.

"Idiot," Ben mumbles. Then he smiles.

   _______________________________

An hour later he hears a voice at the doorway.

"Hi."

He looks up and she's there. She's dressed in a green dress, fitted perfectly to her. He thinks the woman could wear a sack and still be beautiful. She's leaned against the door frame, ankles crossed, smiling shyly.

"Hi, there," he responds, "you okay?"

"Mmm-hmm" she answers, walking towards him. She approaches the chair in front of his desk.

"Come here," he says. She walks around to stand in her usual spot, to his left. He looks up at her, a tad concerned. She looks tired.

Yesterday had been a long day. Amazing. Life changing as far as he's concerned but long. He knows she came straight from his mom's. Ben had driven home after he knew Rey was safe inside. He had to think.

"Did you see my note?" he asks.

"Yes," she answered.

"I told you not to come in today."

"I know."

"Then why are you here?"

"Because this is my job. You have meetings today."

"You must be exhausted."

"Am not," she replies then yawns widely. He stands and looks down at her.

"Can I kiss you again?" he asks, her cute little yawn just too damn tempting.

Her eyes go to the open blinds at his windows.

"Here? Are you sure it's a good idea?"

"It's my company," he shrugs, then looks crestfallen, "unless you aren't comfortable."

How are his sad eyes and the hint of a pouty lip sexy, she thinks to herself.

"Ben," he says, her hands on his wide chest as she leans up at him, "I'm never, ever going to be uncomfortable kissing you…."

His hands grip her waist, his fingers squeezing harder than he intended.

She's not complaining.

It's not a deep kiss, just a quick lip brush but it's still enough to make both of them lightheaded.

He wants to tell her he loves her but he's scared.

She wants to say it but she's afraid.

So they just take what they can get and try not to hope for more.