Chapter 26

It feels odd to walk through the school's hallways while holding Jonathan's hand, and Nathan isn't sure if it's for his or Jonathan's sake that he's holding on so tightly. There are curious looks through their way from all around, but most other students seem to try and act normal or ignore them.

Nathan stands close by when Jonathan rummages through his locker, glancing around as if someone's going to run up and start a fight. "Do you have any reassuring words that'll make me feel better?" he asks.

"I can try and come up with some if it'll make you feel better," Jonathan offers. He pushes his bag aside to look for a pencil he'd dropped at the bottom of the locker.

"Please," Nathan mumbles.

Jonathan picks the pen up and places it on the top shelf before grabbing a handful of books and notebooks. "Everything is going to be fine," he says as he closes his locker and turns to Nathan.

"That didn't help."

Smiling, Jonathan shifts the book in his arms around. "I wasn't finished yet. I was going to say that everything is going to be fine because I can do this now," he reaches out and takes one of Nathan's hands and gives it a squeeze. "And this." He leans forward and presses a kiss on Nathan's cheek.

Warmth spreads within Nathan's chest, and he smiles softly. "Okay, that makes me feel a little better." He looks down at Jonathan and tilts his head to the side. "You go and head to class. I'm going to head over to my locker and see what happens."

"Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?"

"I'm sure," Nathan says. "What's the worst that can happen? I get into another fistfight? I'll be ready this time."

"That doesn't make me feel any better," Jonathan says. "If there's a fight, make sure they come out looking worse than you, at least."

Nathan nods. "You've got it."

They say their goodbyes and part ways. Nathan grips the strap of his backpack as he walks towards his locker. He slows down when he spots both Oliver and Josh hanging around, most likely waiting for him.

He takes a deep breath before walking closer, hoping that they won't cause another scene.

The moment Oliver spots Nathan, he gives Josh a nudge, and they both turn to look at him. "Nate," Josh says. He's quiet and seems to hesitate as he walks closer, dragging his feet around as if he's reluctant to move anywhere.

"What?" Nathan asks. His voice sounds like a whine, but he continues towards his locker. He opens it but doesn't put his bag in. "What, Josh?" he asks again when his friend doesn't say or do anything.

"Can we talk?" Josh asks. "Like, the two of us?"

"I'm listening." Nathan finally manages to get his backpack off and stuff it into his locker, unzipping it to grab the books he needs.

Josh glances at Oliver and then looks back at Nathan. "I'm sorry," he says.

Nathan stops and turns to him. After a quick glance around, he realizes that whatever students are nearby are either watching or trying to listen in. He tries to ignore them and concentrate on Josh, but he can't help but wonder how much or little people know about what happened at the game. They must know about the fight.

"I'm just..." Josh continues, but he's not sure of what he wants to say. He takes a deep breath before he meets Nathan's gaze head-on. "You were right," he says. "You were right all along. Wendy is..." He leaves the sentence unfinished and starts again. "I knew that, of course. I just didn't want to believe it. I got mad, and I took it out on you, which is the dickiest thing I could have done."