Chapter Three

Isabella welcomed Lady Jane and Lady Madeline into the drawing room with hugs and smiles. She was so excited that her two friends were in London.

"I think we should take a stroll in the park today, take account who is here," said Lady Jane with a smile. "I have my sights set on Lord Brentwood. I heard a rumor that he was in town and everyone knows it is most fashionable to flaunt oneself in the gardens in the afternoon."

"Jane! You are so bad!" Lady Madeline giggled behind her embroidery hoop. "How will Lord Brentwood feel about your forwardness?"

"If he doesn't like my matter of factness, then he is bacon-brained."

"Oh, Jane!" Lady Madeline continued to giggle as a pale pink blush flowered on her cheeks. "You must be demure. How can you even pick out a husband? Shouldn't you wait for the husband to pick you? I'm worried this will end in heartbreak."

"I don't think Jane will have any problem getting Lord Brentwood to fall in love with her," Isabella said. "Look how handsome she is. She will certainly have her pick of men."

Lady Jane and Lady Madeline were beautiful women. They contrasted each other with their personalities and the color of their hair.

Lady Jane was slim, slightly above average height and her skin was darker than fashionable. Although these were true, her raven locks and nose held an established and well bred beauty. Her eyes were large and doe like with flecks of gold that circled the iris. She had a good sense of humor that she let show and she was a very accomplished singer and pianoforte player. Isabella was honest when she said that she would have her pick of men.

Lady Madeline was more petite and demure. Her strawberry blonde colored hair aided her aura of innocence and her eyes were like a bright blue sky on a spring day. She was also well accomplished with mastery in playing the harp. She could also recite poetry with just the right amount of feeling. She was already betrothed to the Duke of Pembrokeshire, a match made when the two were infants.

"Well, I have to make sure to grab the attention of Lord Brentwood. Not all of us are already engaged!"

Lady Madeline blushed even more fiercely.

"I have not had the honor to meet the Duke of Pembrokeshire yet. What is he like?" Isabella asked.

"I'm not sure," Lady Madeline said quietly. "I have not met him either."

"What?" Lady Jane was stunned.

"My mother and father have informed me that we will be meeting at the first ball. They wanted to make sure I had a season before we were wedded"

"Are you excited for the match?" Isabella asked when she put a hand on her friend's hand.

"Of course," Madeline said with slight hesitation.

"Of course she is, he is a Duke," Jane interjected.

That got a small laugh out of Madeline and seemed to clear the air of the sad reality so many women experience. Isabella just hoped that the three of them would end up with good matches that resulted in respect. Love was just a fantasy.

...

The three women walked together down the gravel footpath in Hyde Park. Isabella wore a white dress with a dainty and delicate flower pattern. Her short spencer jacket was enough to keep her top half warm as they walked in the cool afternoon. The sun was shining and warm, but there was still a hint of winter in the air. Her straw bonnet kept the sun off her face to eliminate any chance of freckles.

"Who do you think we will see today?" Asked Lady Madeline.

"Anyone who wants to be seen, just like us," remarked Lady Jane.