Family

Matt

This vacation is about family. That was our intention when the fathers brought our families to Hawaii. Nana told us about the time that she spent time in Hawaii with Grandpa and his family. She said it was one of the best times that she had with people.

I walked over to Uncle Nixon, standing on the beach as he watched his family together.

"I hope you don't mind that the kids showed up. I know we just dropped in on you and your family's vacation," Nixon mentioned.

I watched Kaiden, Kain, Kaxon, and Kat as they laughed. "Isn't that what a family vacation means?" I asked.

We glanced at each other. Uncle Nixon smiled and nodded.

"Grandpa told me about Aunt Kat," I mentioned.

Nixon looked at me.

"Someone wise once told me that death isn't the end. It's the beginning. The person said that when our heartbreaks after the loss of someone who we loved, it means that the person affected us. We cherish the moments while the person is alive, then we have precious memories when they leave," I added.

I looked at Uncle Nixon as he looked at me.

"You told me that the day we buried Sadie."

"Yeah, I did, and I meant it," Nixon said.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out the cross that Uncle Nixon gave me. I handed it to him and smiled. Uncle Nixon took the cross and wrapped his hand around it.

I stepped back as someone touched his shoulder. Nixon turned to see Grammy, Nathan, Noah, and Nolan.

"What are you doing here?" Nixon asked them.

I smiled as I turned and walked away.

"Someone called us," Grammy said as they watched me walk away.

I walked over to Nora, who looked at me and smiled. "You did good, Matt," Nora told me.

I pulled Nora to me. "I figure if Uncle Nixon has faith that I would find happiness again, then why not return the favor and give him something he needs."

"What is that?"

"Family."

Nora smiled as I leaned in and kissed her. Thanks to Uncle Nixon's faith, I found my family and happiness.

********
Maggie

Nash and I saw Pat and his brothers with Nixon. We walked towards them as Kat, and the boys walked over to us.

"Where're the girls?" Kat asked.

"We're coming. Our husbands forgot about us," Macey huffed as Marcy giggled.

"Because it wouldn't be a vacation without us," Brooke added, making us girls laugh.

"How is everyone going to fit in one house?" Kat asked us.

"If I learned anything from Lucille and Nate, we rent another house," Pat answered. "Come on, boys! We need to get a move on!" Pat turned and walked away.

"I don't know who's worse, Grammy Gray or Ma," Nolan mentioned.

"Grammy Gray," we all said.

We laughed as we went to collect our bags and move to a rental house close to the grandkids. We figured they needed their space, and we could still spend time with them. Kaxon stayed with the other grandkids while Kaiden and Kain stayed with us.