Deception

"Nanny?" A little girl whines as she lounges in her electronic wheelchair- her legs paralyzed since birth.

"Yes, Axis?" I stand near a stove in the kitchen, fiddling with a box of instant mac-and-cheese.

She gazes deeply at a fluffy, white cat that sits beside her. "Why does Mr. Shadow always bring dead animals to my feet?"

I pour the macaroni into a pot of boiling water and let it sit to cook, "Well, sweetie. It's normal for cats to hunt, but not for us. So they will kill mice for us because they think we are bad at being cats." I smile, scrunching my nose up in a playful manner as Axis giggles at the thought.

The child gapes at the mouse, blood seeping from it's wounds the cat created.

A grin stretches on her lips, almost in excitement, and she peers at Mr. Shadow who was waiting for her approval.

Later, after Axis finished up her bowl of macaroni and cheese, I tuck her tightly into bed, read her a bedtime story, and kiss her forehead as her eyes drift to sleep.

I delicately shut her bedroom door and release a heavy, stressful sigh. Immediately after, I escape to my office and descend deep into my research.

Tonight...

Tonight is the night.

The night I finally get my hands on the bastard that kidnapped and murdered my sister.

I can still see her filth-filled, auburn hair and dull, discolored skin peeking through a body-bag being carried off by cops.

No matter how much I plead, the cops won't do anything. The man had bleached my sister inside and out to remove all of his prints. Making any evidence against him fall.

I finalize my plans, I pack my bags, and with his address I gathered from research, I drive to his house.

I park several blocks away and stride to his front door. There's no need to be secretive about it, so my hand clasps a knife and I knock on the door- waiting for his arrival.

Except, he's doesn't show.

I-

I don't understand...?

I researched... I planned... I waited! I watched his every move waiting for this moment!

He should have been here...

I drive home, years of resentment, and sadness building in my heart as I re-live the injustice given to my sister and I.

I quietly open the front door, my heart dropping to my stomach.
.

.

.

He's here...
.

.

.

I gag, a horrible stench filling the room.

Or...rather his body?

I look up and see the man. A fastened noose entangles around his neck while he dangles in my living room. Blood seeps all over his shirt from knife wounds.

W-what?

Squeaking echoes throughout the house as Axis' door opens.

"Nanny...?"
.

.

.

She stands by her door, no wheelchair in sight, draped in blood with a knife in her hand.

With a very big grin, she giggles -her eyes glistening in insanity.
.

.

.

"You quite bad at being a cat..."

...