Introduction

"Dad, I deserve to know" Varian said to his father Quirin, who paused
"I'm sorry son, You are not ready" Quirin said looking at the tattoo on the back of his hand, before putting his glove back on, neither he nor Varian heard the crackling of the chemical Varian had put on the black rocks, until it grew louder.
"Varian watch out!" Quirin warned his son when he turned in reaction to the noise, but it was too late, the chemical bursted out in hard growths of amber, encasing Varian's arm. He tried to pull it out, but to no avail, as the amber encased his foot.
"Dad help me!" He said, fear in his voice, but Quirin was unable to even dent the amber, as it slowly crept further up Varian's arm. He looked around the room in desperation and saw the shining glint of a sword, and realised what he had to do.

"Varian, do you trust me?" Quirin said, raising the sword to Varian's arm, realising what had to be done, Varian nodded in fear and turned away from the blade, readying himself for the blow, which swiftly came, followed by one on his encased leg. He felt himself being picked up and rushed to his house, where Quirin cauterised his wounds by the fireplace.
"Son, I'm sorry, there was no other choice, and I couldn't leave you there to be swallowed by that... stuff" He apologised as Varian clutched what was left of his arm.
"I understand dad, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have messed with the rocks, it's just that the princess needed my help and-" Varian started to explain through tears, before Quirin cut him off.
"You don't have to apologise son, I would have done the same in your position" he admitted. "Now do you want me to get you some Hot Chocolate?" Quirin offered, trying to help Varian calm down, not that he blamed his reaction.
"A Hot Chocolate would be nice, thanks dad" Varian replied, as his pet raccoon Ruddiger nuzzled against him, trying to make him feel better.

After he had calmed down, and started to get over the shock of losing his arm and leg, Varian started to sketch some designs for mechanical replacements, luckily he still had his good hand. Before he could start work on them though, his father insisted he slept, as he would need it after the shock of what happened. Varian hoped he would wake up in the morning with it all being a bad dream, but he had no such luck, when he woke up his arm and leg were still gone, however the vicious snowstorm had finally blown itself out, or so he thought, not knowing about what Rapunzel had done in the Demantius chamber. Varian got up and, with some help from his father, got changed and had breakfast, before he went to work on his replacement limbs in his lab.

A few weeks later, Rapunzel came to old Corona with Cassandra and Eugene, to check how Varian was going with the rocks, not having heard about the incident. Rapunzel went into Varian's lab to check how he was going with his research, but Quirin held Cass and Eugene back and explained what happened.
"Varian, it's me, Rapunzel" Raps said as she entered his lab, curious of the large cloth-covered structure in the middle of the room.
"Over here" Varian called from the side, as Rapunzel went over to him.
"How's the research going Varian?" She asked not noticing his mechanical limbs, as they were on the opposite of Varian's body to her.
"Quite well, we had a few... complications, along the way, but I think I know how to stop the black rocks." Varian explained, "you actually need to hold them and accept their power, according to my research, they should then react to you and stop their path to Corona." He finished, Raps was surprised at the simplicity, but had another pressing question.

"By the way Varian, what is that on the middle of the room, covered by a cloth?" Raps noticed Varian tense up when she said it, before heading over to it, and removing the cloth.
Varian stood to the side as she inspected the amber.
"Is that-" she started, noticing the arm and leg in the amber.
"Ah, yeah, when I said complications, I meant accidents" Varian revealed his mechanical arm and leg to Rapunzel.
"Oh no, Varian why didn't you contact me sooner?" She insisted.
"I didn't want to worry you, I'm fine now, it was just a setback" Varian tried to ease Rapunzels emotions, and received a hug in return.
"I'm so glad your okay!" She exclaimed, but still had a worried tone on her voice.

"What's the commotion in here?" Cassandra called from the doorway, before putting the pieces together, as Quirin told her and Eugene what happened when Rapunzel was talking to Varian.
"Oh, you learnt what happened" she answered her own question.
"How are you feeling Hair stripe? Your father told us what happened." Eugene asked
"I'm okay now, I think these mechanical limbs could be useful, if I keep working on them." Varian assured them. "Also I know how to stop the rocks"

Outside the lab, Rapunzel did as Varian instructed, and accepted the rocks, and the power they held, which she felt flowing through herself as she brought up two rocks beside her, and clutched them, as a blast of rocks created a wave around here before they broke through the wall of Corona, and went into the distance, before flattening into a path.
"Looks like they want us to follow them" Cassandra suggested.
"I'll get a caravan for us!" Rapunzel exclaimed, as Varian looked back at his father, who nodded, allowing him to go
"I'll make you proud dad" Varian said
"You already have" Quirin replied.

Rapunzel and the others looked at the black rock path, knowing the next step of their journey was in front of them.