The Little Things

(This chapter is a set up for 3 where things will get more intresting with Oikawa and Iwaizumi)

Oikawa's jacket was folded up neatly on your desk as you sat waiting for him to come into your homeroom. It was obvious when he showed up because the second year girls were all squealing and trying to talk with him. He gave them small gestures as he walked over to me. 

“(Y/N) Chan! These are for you” You cheered giving you your running shorts. 

“And this is yours” I played along, handing him the jacket. The girls were all whispering to each other until some of them came up and started distracting Oikawa until the teacher eventually had him leave. You sighed sitting back in your seat waiting for homeroom to end until a girl slammed both her hands onto my desk.. It looked exactly like…

SLAM!

Two hands were slammed onto my desk. Following the hands up was Mika, the team captain of Aoba Johsai girls volleyball team. 

“You screwed us over!” She yelled in my face. “We had a shot and you fucked it up!” She continued getting closer with each word. 

“I didn’t mean to do that.. She received the ball wrong it’s no-” 

SMACK!

My head flew to the side as I sat there wide eyed in shock. 

“If you hadn’t been too aggressive like we would be in Tokyo along with the guys!” She continued…

Looking up I saw the long black braid of Mika Usumi. 

“Can I help you” I deadpanned, slouching a bit. 

“What’d you have Oikawa's jacket for” She hissed analyzing me. 

“You gave me the wrong shorts so he gave me the jacket so attention wasn’t drawn” I spoke truthfully.

“Tch. Whatever whore. Just know that next time it won’t slide” I bit back my words as she walked off with pride.

“Quit being a jealous bitch you know Oikawa barely even knows you exist right” A deep voice growled from the back corner of the class... Mad Dog..

“The hell you say to me!” Mika shouted, turning around swiftly to make eye contact with Mad Dog who was now standing up. Everyone including me stared wide eyed at him, even the teacher was in shock. 

“You heard me, now sit your ass down before you embarrass yourself further” Mad Dog growled. Mika quickly took her seat and Mad Dog huffed sitting himself back down. The teacher coughed a bit to break some of the tension then the bell rang. Mika got up quickly rushing out and I felt a presence beside me. 

“Don’t let people do that shit to you.” Mad Dog growled down at you walking away. I watched him walk out then gathered my things quickly going to my next class…

During lunch I pretty much sit by myself. I mean I used to sit with the volleyball girls even if they would annoy the shit out of me, but now I don’t have anyone. I grabbed my lunchtray from the line and picked out the foods I wanted to eat that day. I walked out to a small table outside the cafeteria and sat down getting out my math homework to do that while I eat. I ate a french fry as I scribble down some answers only to get shocked out of my own world when two trays get set down in front of me. I slowly looked up to see both Oikawa and Iwaizumi sitting in front of me. 

“Hello?” I said curiously looking up at the two third years. 

“Hey! Why are you sitting all alone?” Oikawa asked, sitting himself down along with Iwaizumi.

“Well she can’t sit with the volleyball girls after what you told me happened this morning” Iwaizumi deadpanned like it was obvious.

“Why are you so mean Iwa-chan!” Oikawa whined, going to enclose Iwaizumi in a hug only to get shoved back.

“Stating the obvious jackass!” Iwaizumi yelled to Oikawa only to turn back to you. “He can be pretty clueless” He stated as Oikawa whined in the background starting to eat.

“That's fine,” I said going back to the homework only to get frustrated at the problems.

“Struggling with that?” Oikawa asked, sliding next to you. 

“Heh.. ya. Algebras not my thing..” I scratched the back of my head looking back to the problem. 

“Might help to have the right numbers. That's not supposed to be a 21 it should be a 12” Oikawa stated pointing to the problem at hand.

“Ya.. guess that would help” I chuckled re doing the problem to finally get the answer. The rest of lunch was small talk. Mostly Oikawa bragging about the new serve he learned and Iwaizumi tryna tell him that it’s actually not as impressive as he thinks it is…

So here I am ready for practice day two. I walk into the gym with my workout clothes on ready to go. I set my bag by the bench and walked over to the court where Mad Dog was. We were paired in groups of two so we could help each other on pinpoint objectives. For Mad Dog that was receives which, being a libero you excelled at; and you? Well.. spike control. Weird to think Mad Dog and control would be used in the same sentence right? But he is really good with controlling direction even if he goes full force each time. Everyone spread out and I ended up at the back of the gym showing Mad Dog different ways to receive different serves. He caught on pretty quickly and was doing some practice until he caught the ball in the air giving you a chilling look. 

“I’m done with that. I wanna do spikes so come on we’re moving to the net” He declared loudly strutting over to the net. I took a second to process his words then eventually jogged to catch up with his long strides. 

So you have a problem with direction” He stated obviously. I just nodded once and heard him grumble something you couldn’t quite catch under his breath. “People push you around because you're not bold enough ya know that?” He said matter of factly looking down on you. This had caught me off guard and I looked him right in those dead eyes. 

“Better than being a bold douche huh?” I retorted chuckling trying to make a joke. Mad Dog gave me that blank stare with no emotion tossing up the ball. 

“Spike it” He said and you were quick to sloppily run up and spike the ball down. “Bad form” He grunted walking over. 

“You didn’t give me time to have form!” I looked over with a glare as he walked closer. 

“No. In general. Even yesterday it sucked” He deadpanned. 

“Well damn.” I chuckled, shaking it off only to get pulled. I was pushed into a hunching position and he moved in front of me and pointed to my knees. 

“Now bend those. That's the position you should be before you start running.”

“What a way to teach” I said sarcastically only to just hear him tch. 

“Now let's try this again.. And hey, i’m throwing up the ball” He said with a small scoff almost like he stopped himself from a chuckle. I squinted with a small smile as I got into position. He then threw up the ball and I ran up spiking it down. It did feel better. Like I had more time to decide where I wanted the ball to go. I wasn’t focusing on the jumping position because I was already there. 

“Better. But you're still just spiking. There’s no aim.” He said looking back over. You both locked eyes only to get interrupted by Oikawa. 

“Good practice everyone! Time to clean up!” He yelled while jogging to gather some balls. I looked away from Mad Dog and started to clean up only to get pulled back his way. 

“One more thing” he said. “Help me during homeroom with the math work. I don’t get it” Then he walked off and started cleaning.. Not giving you a choice. Well.. I guess I have a new friend huh?