Next Year

It was finally time. The hero rankings.

Midoriya had been waiting for this moment ever since All Might told him he could be a hero. Since his first year at UA he had dreamed about this moment.

Being named as the #1 Hero.

It was his dream he had made for himself since he knew about heroes.

Become number one.

Now he was finally here.

The venue was gorgeous. Of course he had seen it on the TV a million times, but to actually be there, sitting in a chair reserved for you... that was different.

He sat at a dining table with pro heroes Uravity, Ingenium, Froppy, Shouto, and Mineta. Food had not been served yet, but glasses of champagne were set upon the tables.

"And the 3rd Pro Hero is.... Shouto!" The red and white hero stood up with a slight smile, bowing and walking towards the stage next to Suneater.

Now Midoriya had begun to get more anxious, excited and fidgety. His leg bounced in his seat and his finger tapped the side of the glass.

Uraraka laid a gentle hand on his shoulder, showing a soft smile with her red lipstick covered lips. He smiled back, taking her hand into his and squeezing it gently.

"And the 2nd Pro Hero is.... Deku!"

The world went silent at that moment. His heart began to beat out of his chest and tears oh so badly wanted to pour waterfalls out his eyes.

A cold sweat began under his nice suit  and a frown was visible for only a second.

However, he stood with a beaming smile, the one he always saved everyone with. He bowed and made his way up to the stage.

He heard murmurs along the way.

"I was so sure he would be first."

"What happened? Was there a mistake?"

"He doesn't deserve to be 2nd."

"Who's 1st?"

His fists clenched as he heard these words. He was thinking and wondering those things too.

He stood next to Shouto on the stage. His friend gave him a pitied look as he saw the 'hidden' look of disappointment on the freckled face.

He should've been first.

He looked out onto the crowd of confused faces, his eyes landing on his mother's. Her eyes of shock and... disappointment.

Then they came to Aizawa's. A tired and unamused expression to anyone else, but they looked upset to him.

Last came All Might's. Even though he was literally on 1% and should be dead by now, a grim look rested on his features. More disappointment, confusion, anger even?

Why hadn't he been #1?

The looks he received swallowed him whole and in all honesty he wanted to break down right there.

He's grown now though.

He can't cry as he pleases. He shouldn't cry at all, right? No crying allowed. Suck it up and let it go. No one cares anyway.

"And the Number One Pro Hero is... Ground Zero!' The crowd erupted in cheers and applause as they should.

The blond strolled up to stage with a sly smirk on his face, eyeing Deku the whole way there.

It was as if he was mocking him, his red eyes filled with nothing but pride.

He stood next to Deku, moving his eyes away from the #2 Hero as he stilled.

He said a few unneeded words and insincere words of encouragement into the mic before receiving a more wary round of applause.

As the host spoke his last words of the night, Bakugou leaned over to the greenette, eyes filled with venom.

He looked him up and down before standing upright again and speaking.

"Don't worry Deku. You were always #2 in my eyes. Always."

Midoriya held in his gasp and tears.

No.. more like anger and 'omg the mother fucker has the audacity after being #2 to me all through UA.'

He rolled his eyes, noticing it was time to head back to the tables to eat.

He kept thinking about what that prideful jerk said, though he wouldn't let it get to him. He wouldn't and..

there's always next year anyway....

Right ?