Chapter 27

"Stay away from that idiot." Kwon Jiyong muttered to her, closing the distance between them while whisking her off her feet. She let out a surprised squeal, holding onto his shoulders when he suddenly picked her up and swished her around.

"He seems...interesting." Dara Park was placed in a good mood by his unusual and unfamiliar greeting. She liked it very much. It was like something out of a movie. "Does he happen to know Bom? His name sounds very familiar."

Kwon Jiyong's face changed a bit. "Yes, he does, but that's a story for another time." He preferred not to remember the image of his best assassin wagging his tail to his younger sister. It was a peculiar sight, one that ended up very disastrously. Needless to say, the man was not allowed to be near Bom Kwon, not that she would want to be with him either.

Dara Park hummed in reply, her eyes glancing towards the spot where the Ferrari previously stood. She made up her mind to ask Bom Kwon about him.

- - - - -

"My mother's birthday is approaching in a week." Kwon Jiyong began while slicing the filet mignon cooked in butter and rosemary. After thoroughly cutting it into bite-size pieces, he switched the plate with Dara Park's half-cut steak.

"She wants us to attend, but of course, if you do not want to, we do not have to step foot in that place." He surveyed her unfazed expression and could see the engines in her head. Preferably, he did not want to attend such a boring occasion, since the banquet was usually too extravagant and noisy to his liking. He preferred to see his mother a day or so before the birthday banquet to give her the gifts and greetings.

Dara Park was not a fan of banquets anymore, but for the sake of Madam Kwon, she reluctantly nodded her head. "I do not see a problem in attending."

Kwon Jiyong's lips twitched, his brows creasing together. "Do not feel pressured to attend just for the sake of giving face. You do not need my parents' or for that matter anyone else's acceptance."

'Well, I don't want to become Yoona.' She thought to herself. To this day, the young woman still refused to step a foot in the Zheng Main Mansion, where Madam and Master Zheng resided. After so many failed attempts of gaining their favor, the female lead learned the harsh way that she would never be accepted, for her background would never be good enough. After all, she was whisked into wealth, not born into it.

"It's fine, I want to attend." She lied through her teeth, her lips blooming into a pleasant smile.

Kwon Jiyong saw right past her. "Are you sure?"

"Yes. Now stop distracting me from this perfectly cooked meal." She chided him, averting her gaze. She was not a fan of banquets, especially one as grand as the one Fan Jielan would throw. However, she needed allies on her side, and Fan Jielan seemed to be the perfect one.

Halfway through their meal, Dara Park's phone buzzed. She checked and saw it was a message from Elder Park.

[Grumpy Gramps: The Annual Ning Auction will be held in five days. Are you going to attend?]

Dara Park thought about it. She glanced at Kwon Jiyong whose eyes were intently staring at her. When their eyes met, he smirked a bit before going back to his meal. She could feel her stomach flutter at the mischievously handsome expression on his face. She contemplated asking him to attend with her but then decided against it. If he went with her, he would buy everything she gave the smallest glance at.

[Dara: Is this the charity one?]

[Grumpy Gramps: Yes.]

[Dara: Alright, I'll be there.]