Chapter 11

Somewhere Someday

(Chapter 11 – Love On Hold)

One cloudy morning, Hanna walks quietly towards the classroom. Even if she is a bit sleepy because of studying late for a quiz this afternoon, she still manages to put on a smile, alternatively yawning as she reaches her desk. The young lady thinks that something weird is happening. Unusual smiles and glances from her friends confuse her.

The unassuming girl puts her bag on her place as she sits down, seeing a small folded note attached to her desk. She reads a short passage as she tries to remember why the handwriting is familiar.

“Better is an open reprimand, than a love that remains hidden.” – Proverbs 27:5

Amazed with the proverb, her eyes spark in wonder as she finally opens the note which is folded into half. Now everything is clear. A name written below the short but sweet letter confirms her suspicion.

Seeing you as my Snow White, I knew it was love at first sight

Hidden feelings I can’t fight, I now confess for the time is right

“I love you Hanna” I’ll make it trend, I’ll do it for my best friend

Moments with you I want to spend, just don’t let this love end

(John Carlo Chua)

Before Hanna can even react, a mob of friends swarmed into the door. Smiles and laughter fill the room as her best friend JC finally appears, holding a bouquet of fresh pink roses in his right hand, while gripping sticks of rainbow-colored balloons in his left. Walking towards the surprised girl, the class begins to feel the romance and excitement of his confession. But not all are happy. Gillian, together with her friends, look frustrated as they roll their eyes in disbelief.

“Is this a prank? W-wait… I’m overwhelmed. This is the first time that someone did this to me.” Hanna opens her mouth in awe as she feels the light atmosphere of the room.

“I love you.” JC says in a soft and humble tone. His sentence makes Hanna smile, with her soft cheeks slightly blushing. She looks straight at the boy and starts to notice all the features which entitles him to a campus heartthrob title. It is only now that she happens to fully appreciate his sweet face, cute chinky eyes, and pearly white smile.

“I… I don’t know what to say…” Hanna slightly gasps for air as she begins to become conscious in front of the guy.

“Hanna! Yes is the answer!” Paula shouts as she stands in the platform, leading the class to cheer Yes.  

Hanna looks at JC, smiling as if there is a ready answer brewing in her head. Taking a deep breath, she softly touches the guy’s face as she finally gives her reply. “Yes.” She exclaims, making the class shout and cheer in victory. Their classmates treat the event like a basketball championship.

“Yes… you may court me.” The young lady makes a follow-up statement which leaves the class hanging. They weren’t expecting such reply.