Chapter 13

*TW: Sexual Assault*

Chapter 13

I would have been more reluctant to agree if I didn't see Viscount Nathaniel Mowry on the other side of the room searching for me. Cole might not be my favorite person at the moment, but at least I know his intentions aren't seeded in spite. Still, that doesn't mean I look at him as we dance, nor does it mean I'm prepared to speak with him ever again after tonight.

This dance belongs to Margarite, so why am I the one in the Prince's arms, and where is she in the crowd of people. Her beauty is difficult to miss, described as one of the few women in the kingdom that can draw attention as well as Amalie. It's impossible Cole didn't see her, they're supposed to stumble into each other once he reached the bottom of the stairs.

I wasn't paying attention to Cole as he was descending, so maybe they did meet, but if that were the case then why isn't he dancing with her right now. He's supposed to fall in love instantly, enamoured by her beauty, wit, and charm, so what could have changed?

"I apologize," he whispers into my ear, snapping me away from my search for Margarite. "My step mother informed me of your ... situation earlier today, and had I known I wouldn't have pushed you so hard. Forgive me, it was not my intention to make things difficult for you."

He can apologize all he wants, it doesn't change the fact that the only reason I'm not an Imperial Knight right now is because I simply wasn't good enough. "Your words are useless, Your Highness, for actions have a tendency to speak louder. This is simply a setback for me."

"The truth is, I was having too much fun." I can't make out his expression because my eyes are still looking for Margarite, but I finally force myself to look at him as he speaks. He was having too much fun? "I haven't fought with someone with as much skill and poise as you in a long time, and it seems I got a bit carried away."

Our bodies flow to the sound of the music, stepping around each other through the dance. Cole lifts my arm, and I spin underneath, landing back into his graces. "Attempting flattery again I see. I wonder how many of your words I can truly believe, considering all of the falsehoods you've directed towards me."

Without warning Cole draws me in closer, dipping me down in an impromptu break in choreography. "You aren't exactly innocent in that regard either, Love." He lifts me back up, and this time I have no choice but to look him in the eyes. "I hear from my mother that you've always been inclined to avoid me, falsehoods aside. Why is that? You met me only two days ago and yet even a month prior you were so eager to escape me." Because fate tells me I'd die if I were to stay close to you. I'm the villain in this story, and you're wasting your time here with me than with your soulmate Margarite.

"Why would I agree to a loveless marriage with a man I have never met? Especially while I still have a choice," I ask, giving an honest response that's genuine enough to make sure he doesn't ask more. It's not like I can tell him that his world is a book, I know the ending, and if I agreed to marry him then I'd be executed one way or another.

"Then I have a different proposition for you that I hope you don't refuse." At this moment, Cole stops dancing entirely, and drops to one knee. The couples around us stop dancing and everyone turns to watch what the Crown Prince has to say. "Lady Amalie Ewell," he starts, a hand across his chest, "Will you join my personal knights regiment?"

I'm speechless, staring at the Crown Prince kneeling in front of me. No member of the royal family should lower themselves to someone else. I'm sure the Queen must be fuming right now, that two people she hates have drawn so much attention to themselves. "You must be mistaken, Your Highness. The Royal family must be guarded by the Imperial Knights regiment. How could you ask me something and kneel in front of me as though you were a mere nobleman?"