|7|. The What ifs

At first my mouth was unresponsive under his. I was shocked after all. The only thing running through my numbed brain at that moment was that Marco DeSantis was kissing me. Me of all people! I couldn't believe it. If my hands weren't trapped between our bodies, I would have pinched myself to assure myself that this was really happening and wasn't all a dream.

And then his tongue probed the contours of my mouth and I lost all conscious thoughts. I gasped slightly and he utilized the opportunity to delve in more deeply. The kiss was everything I could have ever dreamed off and more. It was a clash of tongues entangling in fierce passion. Sizzling sparks erupted all over me, I felt like I would explode from the intensity of it. I wondered vaguely how our clothes hadn't caught fire by now. It was a damn miracle.

He angled my head better for deeper penetration as he nibbled on my lower lip softly. It was so hot, my knees wobbled and his hand tightened around me, further crushing me to his body. I wasn't complaining though, I didn't think my legs could support my weight at the moment. I threaded my hand through his hair that was really as soft as it looked. I felt breathless, both literally and figuratively.

His hungry mouth left mine and started a trail of soft kisses and light bites down the length of my neck. I swung my head back in ecstasy, biting my lips as he began kissing the tops of my breast. Right now, I wasn't thinking. I was just feeling. The emotions coursing through me threatening to drown me under.

He raised his head up looking down at me with eyes darkened with lust. "Let's go to my room." His voice was gruff, his accent coming on thicker.  "I'll make you feel so good." He planted his lips into my mouth once more, giving me a hard, dangerous kiss that promised just how good he could make me feel.

He was so busy kissing me, he didn't notice how my body tensed up at his words, my brain clearing through the thick fog of lust that had clouded my senses.

I was letting Marco DeSantis kiss me. The man who had actively pursued and flirted with me, turning me on in unimaginable ways, and in the same breath announced his engagement with another woman, my best friend's former girlfriend who he is still in love with by the way. And what's worse I was enjoying it!

That thought alone was enough to make me jerk away from him like he was a burning flame and his touch would set me on fire if I stayed in the circle of his arms any longer.

A slight frown marred his beautiful face, his midnight blue eyes still glazed from the explosive kiss we had shared. I took a step back away from his intoxicating aura that threatened to swamp me under, shaking my head in a pathetic attempt to get rid of the cobwebs of lust in my head. Because that's all it could ever be lust. There was nothing else, nothing more. Now if only I can convince my rapidly beating heart of this fact.

"Scarlett, what's… what's wrong?" There was bewilderment and desire and a trace of something else in his voice… desperation perhaps?

I pressed my hand to my temples, shutting my eyes tightly. I didn't want to see his face. "I can't do this."

"Scarlett…" He made to touch me.

"Don't!" I shrieked. He stopped immediately, a hurt look on his face. "Don't come near me." I didn't know what I had do if he touched me.

"Look Scarlett, there's something that I have to tell you. It's about my engagement—"

"I don't wanna hear it. I don't really care about you and Audrey’s relationship or any other woman for that matter. There's no reason for you to tell me anything. Your life doesn't concern me."

His eyes blazed with fury as he processed my words. Suddenly, for the umpteenth time that night, I found myself pressed against Marco's lithe body. My hand reached up to Marco's chest instinctively to steady myself. I could feel the tense, hard muscles beneath his shirt. His beating heart. The way his chest rose and fell with every breath. This was soon becoming a delicious habit…