This is our only way, isn't it?

Everything went fine.

For the first two days.

Brett was currently sitting at the North Refugee Camp, where he was acting as if he had broken a law and was taken for surveillance. In two days, he had grown a bit more thinner. His heart ached every minute, thinking about his husband. He kept on biting his inner cheek, hands trembling at the thought of the danger Eddy might be in.

Eddy was in his bus, staring at the passing trees. The world had seemed to have dropped in colour contrast, everything seemed weirder than usual. Birds had almost stopped chirping, and everything was melancholy. His only constant worry was about Brett.

Brett twirled his fork in his hand, mouth dry. "Eat up!" A general shouted at the group of people present. Brett's fork slipped out of his grip, softly clanging the metal bowl. He picked it up again, trying to down the bland noodles, thinking one and one thought only: "don't die Ed."

Eddy had reached his camp on the fifth day, as planned. His convoy jumped out their buses, weapons in hand. "We have to walk up that mountain, and hide till nightfall. At 11, we shall attack." Their governing head stated. Eddy sighed, looking at his watch, mentally chanting "please be safe Bretty."

Brett turned in his uncomfortable bed, made of two blankets. His tent was rather small for two people and his stirring awoke his partner. "Go to sleep, your husband will be fine." His partner, a woman, namely Hilary said. "I hope he is. I have a bad feeling." Brett whispered. A crow flapped its wings above his tent, heading South.

Eddy stretched his legs as the convoy got up to head up from their hiding place. "Men listen up, I hope you kissed your lover, your boyfriend, girlfriend, wife or husband, your kids or whatever member who's still alive in your family a consoling goodbye. This is a suicide mission, and the only way to succeed is to bleed. Get ready for a war." Eddy cocked his head in confusion. "Sir!" He stomped his feet, hitting a salute. "Yes Mr. Chen?" Eddy stood at ease, "Sir I was told we were going to pretend for a fight. Are we not doing that? Are we actually fighting, sir?" A deep chuckle filled the evening air.

And then a gunshot.