Flamesong's Life

Flamesong's Life

Nora Hare

    The sun shone through the branches of the thick oak trees, causing Flamepaw's pelt to shine brightly in the sunlight. She instinctively dropped into a hunter's crouch, her belly fur lightly brushing the ground. Okay...don't jump too early or too late. Flamepaw was in the middle of her warrior assessment, and she didn't want to fail. Just one more step... She leaped and landed squarely on the mouse. Her mentor, Redfoot, stepped out of the shadows of a large oak and let out a purr of congratulations. "Did I pass?" Flamepaw asked, eager to find out her fate.

    Redfoot smiled warmly at her, "Of course!" Flamepaw sighed in relief and he continued, "Let's get your other catches and make our way back to camp. You should be a warrior by sundown."

    "Okay!" she meowed enthusiastically. Flamepaw scampered off toward the hole she buried her squirrel, vole, and sparrow in. Once she dug them up, Flamepaw made her way back to camp, proudly carrying her fresh-kill. Inside the camp, Cloverstar sat patiently in the middle of the hollow, waiting for the apprentice to come back with her kills.

    Flamepaw burst into the clearing the breeze ruffling her fur, causing it to go off to one side. "I passed!" she exclaimed. The cats in the clearing eyes' were shining with amusement. She dipped her head, clearly embarrassed, and brought the prey to the fresh-kill pile.

    Flamepaw waited for her mentor to come into the camp, she crouched down and fluffed up her fur against the freezing breeze.

Finally, Redfoot walked into camp. He made his way to Cloverstar, his broad muscles rippling under his pelt. "I assume she told you, but she passed." He snuck a glance at Flamepaw, and she lifted her head proudly.

"Good!" Cloverstar purred. "We could do the ceremony right now, everyone seems to be in camp.

Flamepaw, who was angling her eyes toward the conversation, stood up tall. She began marching toward the front of the clearing when her mother, Suncloud, put her paw down on Flamepaw's tail. Her eyes shone proudly as she gazed at her daughter, "Don't think you're going anywhere till I make you clean."

Flamepaw rolled her eyes, and sat still as her mothers' rough tongue cleaned her fur. After a few moments, Suncloud stopped. She gazed at her daughter, warmth in her eyes. "Okay, I'm going to be late!" Flamepaw exclaimed and she raced away.

Cloverstar sat perched on the High Tree, looking down at all the cats of the clan. Flamepaw sat in the middle, gazing wide-eyed at him. "May all cats who are old enough to catch their own prey, gather beneath the High Tree for a Clan meeting."

Flamepaw brought her gaze to meet her leaders', her eyes shining excitedly.

He continued, "Today, a young cat has passed her apprentice training and is ready to become a warrior of LightningClan." He nodded to Redfoot, "She has passed her warrior training. Flamepaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and protect your clanmates with your life?"

"I do."

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I name you Flamesong, our newest warrior of LightningClan," Cloverstar jumped down and touched noses with Flamesong.

She whispered thanks, in awe of her new rank.

Redfoot started by chanting "Flamesong" the others joining in until every cat was saying her new name.

I'll prove to them I'm the best warrior this clan has ever seen!

Once the chants died away, another young warrior, Rippleclaw, padded toward her. "Yes?" Flamesong asked, her voice high-pitched from excitement.