MY BADLY DRESSED ATTACKER

The empty roads were a treat to the eyes, hardly a motorbike or a four-wheeler took over us, the rustle of the leaves were the only sounds that kept ringing in my ears. The bus took a turn at the Kemp store and proceeded towards Lifestyle.

With no one to communicate to, my thoughts went on a ride. I have always had people around me to help me solve a math problem, get me an ice pack when my body gets attacked by cramps, cover for me when I'm late to work, cry along with me as we listen to Taylor Swift's album, text with me until we drift off to sleep.

The concept of loneliness was something I only read in, books and Google quotes; the experience was new to me. I had grown up to be too dependent on people, they were my roots that held my tree, and without them, I would fall soon.

I was scared to be alone.

A message beeped on my phone, and I turned on the screen. It wasn't from any of my friends: it read 'Vodafone offers unlimited data' and other stupid stuff. I felt it was wiser to remove my Sim-card; I wouldn't be using my mobile anyway. I removed the sim from my mobile and placed it inside my back pocket.

Lucky me, not even a single soul boarded in and it was just me, the handlebar-moustached conductor and most importantly the driver.

The bus halted near the ATM near Richmond Road. I hurriedly rushed towards it. Gathered all my cards and withdrew every penny present in it, I wouldn't swipe it again to keep my whereabouts after this a secret.

It was hard to place all the cash inside my purse. If cops found out the amount which I carried, they might report me as a burglar (which I was), but I would have to worry about that later.

I stuffed the remaining money into my pockets and pulled out my pink pullover away from my shoulders and placed in on the ground, threw all the cash into it and tied around the sleeves forming knots.

I started running again. I kept glancing behind to be extra sure no one was following me. I noticed an aged-man fumbling with his walking sticks.

Maybe no one is after me, Am I over - exaggerating things, Is Tanya the one to be killed? As a Lawyer, she frequently received death-threats. Has someone who was against her case, committed the murder? Perhaps my family is innocent they aren't involved. Have I run away from home for nothing?

I slowed down my pace and began to enjoy my surroundings.

The Sun's rays streaked across the cloudy sky, emitting warmth and sunshine. A girl in her mid-twenties had a leach wrapped around her wrists walked past me with her beagle toiling behind. A guy with headphones on and green neon sneakers jogged in front of me.

Life is good, always been good. I'm so stupid for misinterpreting things.

A wave of cool breeze brushed against my back. I reflexively turned behind and saw a guy with an orange bandana and black shades. My first thought was: This guy doesn't know anything about fashion. Then I realized he was staring at me.

As I observed him for a few more minutes, I noticed that he kept looking at his phone and then back at me. Sweat beaded across my forehead, all I knew was that I needed to escape, so I ran.

His pace increased as well, when I glimpsed over he was talking to someone over the phone, could be my dad. I didn't notice the footpath in front of me, my feet hit against the pathway, and I fell flat over my face, the hard-core road wounded my knees deeper than I had expected it too.

I got back up, as quickly as I tripped over, fresh blood oozed out from my knees and dripped down, I could hardly place my legs forward, limping ahead increased the flow of blood, opening the scar wider and I yelped in pain.

Twenty-three years of age and I couldn't walk fast without breaking myself.

The guy was hands reach, away from me.

How did he get so close?

He grabbed me by my elbow that triggered a shooting pain I tried to writhe away my hand from his hold. I was outraged that his grasp was excruciating, I peeked over and caught onto the sight of my bruised elbow,His hands held a rugged grip on mine, his touch against my scars was traumatizing.

He placed his phone on his ear that was supported by bending his neck towards his shoulder. The person on the other end wasn't picking up his call the masked guy was starting to feel flustered.

I cannot give up, not now.

My left leg kicked him right into the middle of his groin he was in pure agony, his eyes bulged to the core, I was worried what if it pops out from its sockets, his hands flew to shield the injured spot, as he moved backwards his head hit the transmission pole and I heard a loud clack.

His mouth was partly open while he uttered words under his breath as his ostrich egg eyes closed down for repair. He collapsed into the dumped garbage on the side.

It was the right time to run, yet I preferred to sit and laugh for a while.

A hand touched my shoulders.

Oh-no am I in trouble?

I should have run while I had the chance, I turned around and what I saw made my eyes grew to the size of Maharaja Mac-burger.