Skin

Author's Note:

Dating is hard, but it's harder for some of us than it is for others. People ask me why I have some of the restrictions and rules that I do for potential partners. Well, this is why. For a more in-depth explanation there's a movie you can watch. Watch it, and then listen to me rant about it for three hours (yes I just want an excuse to rant about one of my favorite movies).

Carter: Has anyone ever told you how beautiful you are?

Devon blushed and immediately tried to hide it behind his hand. Then he remembered that there was no one around to see him anyway, so it didn't matter. Really, it was something that he'd never heard in his entire life, even among other queer men that was a rare compliment for him. Devon was a plain guy with average looks. Too obviously gay for any girls to compliment him, but not cute enough to receive any from guys. He'd accepted his lot in life long ago. To hear that someone thought he was beautiful, it was almost too good to be true.

Devon: Well of course you aren't the first to say it. You may just luck up and wind up being my favorite, though.

Definitely flirty and coy as he'd intended. But the second he'd hit 'send,' Devon wanted to toss his phone to the ground at how stupid it sounded. He needed to diffuse the situation. He added another line of text.

Devon: Lol.

That would do it. Devon awaited anxiously for Carter's response.

Carter: Lol. I mean it though. Your face is perfectly human, you know? Like you're a real person, not like these fakes that hide themselves with makeup and beards.

"Well," Devon whispered to himself, "I guess I won't be growing that beard after all."

Devon: Aww, thanks. Even though your profile pic is an anime character, I'm sure you look beautifully human, too. ;)

Carter: I look like a slob in real life, hence the anime icon. Lmao

Carter: But you, man. You're just awesome. You look like a delicious piece of chocolate I can't wait to bite on.

Devon rolled his eyes. His older sister had warned him about that, people calling him chocolate and diving into rants about his color. At first he thought it was just a thing that straight guys did, but one of his gay friends later confirmed it, that was just a white people thing. Well, really it was anyone that wasn't Black, but the origins of the fetish was clear.

"I'm so lucky Tariq isn't here," Devon said to himself. He didn't need yet another lecture about dating white people. Tariq didn't get it, both of his partners were Black. He didn't know how hard it was for two compatible, queer Black people to find each other, least of all on a PWI campus. Devon was sick of being single, so if he had to play into some white dude's fantasy for a little bit, what was the harm? Besides, it wasn't like Devon completely hated the fetish...

Devon: Well maybe we'll have to meet up so I can let you have a bite.

Carter: I hope we can meet soon. I'm excited to find out how you taste.

Devon: Well, aren't you forward!

Carter: I know what I want, Chocolate Man. And what I want is to run my tongue all over your body before I take a bite of your soft, supple flesh.

Devon laughed, but it was a mixed laughter. On one hand, it was flattering to hear someone desire him so openly. But the 'soft, supple flesh' line just felt odd. He decided to just move them off the topic of his.

Devon: What are you doing right now?

Then, Devon realized that wasn't clear enough. It looked like too big a tone shfit.

Devon: U up? ;)

"Okay, that's just dumb," he said to himself.

Carter: Well right now I'm having fun with a friend of mine. I could send you a pic if you're interested?

Devon sighed, yet another guy that wanted a three-some. Usually he'd just stop messaging and block automatically. But it was free nudes, and it had been a while...

Devon: Is your friend okay with that? (and is he a he?)

Carter: Lol, don't worry. He's another lovely chocolate guy like you.

Before Devon could point out he didn't exactly answer his first question, the picture came through. Since he hadn't been talking to Carter for very long, the app's safety features automatically blurred the picture. When he tapped it, a message box popped up asking Devon if he was sure he wanted to proceed. Devon reflexively hit 'yes' without giving even giving it a first thought.

The picture was a mess of brown and red and white, so Devon had trouble figuring out what he was looking at. His eyes darted randomly around the picture, trying to find a point to focus on that would let his mind recognize what it was he was seeing. When they finally found a pair of big, blue eyes, Devon dropped his phone in disgust. A cold chill rand own his spine, and he immediately darted his head to his dorm window to make sure the blinds were shut tight.

Devon picked up the phone again and began to furiously type.

Devon: What the fuck! What the hell is wrong with you?

Carter: I thought you'd like it? Don't tell me that didn't make you hard, seeing another supple, chocolate body being enjoyed the way it was meant to.

Devon: Is this a prank? Or do you literally just jack off to sending people fake cannibalism pics?

Carter: It's not a joke. I told you, I like tasting chocolate men.

Devon: Stop saying that! I was willing to let it slide before but it's weird and racist and creepy!

Carter: I'm not a racist! I love Black people. I love your bodies. I love your voices. I love your skin. It tastes sooooooo good.

Devon: Okay that's it. Blocked AND Reported.

Devon moved to the conversation settings, and from the list of options that popped up, tapped "Report User." Another message popped up asking if he was certain, and right before he could press 'yes', he saw another message from Carter.

Carter: Maybe I'll just come explain it to you in person. You're in 231 in Lector Hall, right?