Chapter 7

Vespera was a small but beautiful country of rolling fields, open meadows, and scattered woodlands with many small lakes and winding rivers. Lorna, located in the center of the prosperous country, was a large city with a moderate wall running around its borders and a thriving and contented community within. Tristan rode reluctantly through the open gates, noting the look of disdain that crossed the faces of the guards as they recognized his uniform, but nothing more onerous than a few looks of disgust hindered him as he rode towards the palace in the middle of the city. People bustled about in the streets, busy about their own business, few were those who noticed his passing, but he survived those few glares and rode on, musing that the Order truly did have a bad reputation everywhere. He came to the palace gates and applied to the guards for Captain Lyre; a soldier dashed off, soon returning with confirmation that he was expected. He surrendered the irritated mare to the groom and followed the waiting soldier, who was to take him to Lyre. Lyre met him just inside the main entrance to the palace; he bowed minimally while Tristan made a full bow in return. Lyre dismissed the soldier back to his post and motioned for Tristan to follow, they walked silently into the depths of the palace. Once they entered Lyre's private chambers, they could talk.

"I am not looking for an assistant," said Lyre immediately after closing the door to his rooms, "but then you are not here to assist but rather to observe and learn how a true Advisor should act." This made him smile haughtily, thinking it quite an honor to be held in such high regard that the Order wished others to learn to emulate him, with that pleasing thought, he quickly warmed to the idea, if not to Tristan himself. Continued he, "after all, in a few months you will be off to that rebellious little city on the edge of nowhere. What did you do to get banished there? Well, never mind that, the High Council knows what it is about. While you are here your only job is to observe me and learn; you are learning from the best, if I say so myself!

There is an advisor here from the Brethren, perhaps if you two talked a bit you might learn more about their insignificant city-state. We attend the Queen whenever she is holding court or otherwise involved in public affairs, and we have one half-hour every week during which she will listen to us privately. She may also call upon us for advice at any time on matters of state, but if she requires information or advice, I will provide it. You do not speak unless asked a direct question by her Majesty or are directed to answer by me. She has the deepest respect for me and my wisdom; watch and learn well and one day you might gain such respect." He finished almost reverently, "now go tidy up, for the Queen is holding court this very evening and we must attend."

Tristan bowed himself out and found a servant waiting outside the door, who took him to a very small room just down the hall. Tristan wondered if they had remodeled a closet for his personal use, but he found his saddlebags and gear laid out on the bed, and as ordered, he quickly cleaned-up and changed his travel worn clothes. Shortly, Lyre came by to collect him, just walking in and not bothering with trivialities like knocking. This was going to be a lovely couple of months, thought Tristan grimly to himself. Together they walked to the grand chamber wherein the Queen held court, with Lyre insisting that Tristan walk a step or two behind, regaling Tristan on the whole interminable journey with accounts of his various triumphs throughout his long and glorious career. If they had not been walking, Tristan might have fallen asleep on his feet.

They entered the audience chamber and joined the small clump of advisors and representatives from other countries, various organizations, and any other foreigners who had an interest in the affairs of Vespera. In another clump stood various Generals and military experts, a third held well-to-do merchants and tradesmen, and the final group appeared to be the local nobles and important officials within the palace, city, or country. Anyone who had any interest at all in Vespera had a representative here as often as may be. A trumpet sounded as the Queen entered; she was a beautiful young woman, full of grace and wisdom. She took her seat and then the gathered representatives took theirs, running in a row along each wall, on either side of her throne.