SNAP: The World Unfolds

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

I didn’t see Jean-Louis until he came into the conference room for the meeting.  He was in his SoCal clothes; jeans, t-shirt, open dress shirt and stubble, the ubiquitous sunglasses pushed up.   He nodded at Chaz, said “Sorry, I was previewing the clips,” and took a seat at the end of the table, away from me.

Was he avoiding me?  I felt heat rising along with my temper then realized I was being watched.  I slid a look down the table.  Most people were focused on Jean-Louis, but Carola’s eyes were burning into me.  When she caught my eye she raised an eyebrow and gave her head a single shake, as though to toss her hair back.

Damn those vampires and their uncanny body-reading abilities.  This was a good warning.  Even here, even home, I’d have to keep the lessons from Hungary in my consciousness.  It would be too easy to slip into the usual snit; I knew I had a short fuse when I sensed I was being dismissed or not taken seriously. And I expected people around me to be quick and smart, not traits that everyone had.  Part of my testiness could be laid to the pace of life I’d led over the past decade or so.  It was a modern version of the quick or the dead; the new media reality required instant decision-making and I was good at it.

A few days at the castle were a different world.  Beyond the language, manners, sumptuous surroundings, topsy-turvy time, there was the stately pace that centuries of life developed in the vampires.

I wasn’t going to be able to rush Jean-Louis.  Jealousy, drama, fits of pique had no place if there was to be any relationship.  I had to sit back and let things move at a speed that was out if my control.  On the other hand, the threats of the Huszars required immediate reaction.  I needed to take a page from police; hours of boredom interrupted by flashes of terror.

The overhead lights snapping off brought me back.  Jean-Louis was running the clips with narration.  The five girls were arresting.  Three Southern California blonds had been shot at Santa Monica and La Jolla beaches, shopping on Rodeo Drive, jogging through Brentwood and out at clubs.  They were model-pretty with clear skin, wide smiles and, on two of them, plastic surgery breasts.

Chaz and Carola were both shaking their heads when they realized the girls had “augmentation.”  Jean-Louis wasn’t interested, either.

“Those two will probably make some splash in TV ‘reality’ shows, and we’ll give them minimal coverage then.  But they’re not right for SNAP.”

He added, “Unless it’s as an Ice Princess,” getting a low laugh from the room.

The third blond had broken out of the mold.  She was slim and sleek and moved with poise.  “She reminds me of a young Grace Kelly,”’ someone said and Mina nodded.

“I agree,” Jean-Louis was jotting notes on his laptop.  “I want to follow up on her.  Who has her contact information?”

Chaz’ assistant waved his hand.  “I’ve sent it to you.”

“Good, let’s get together after the meeting.”

The other two girls were stunningly different.  Both mixed-race, they were dark-haired, black-eyed and honey-colored.  Neither was tall enough for a runway model but both moved with feline grace. 

“I want to see more of these two, also,” Jean-Louis said and turned to Chaz’ assistant. “Give me their contacts, too.”

SNAP covered the same celebrities that other entertainment and gossip media did, but one thing that set us apart was “finding” the undiscovered and this was the first time I was in on the ground floor.  It was interesting and exciting.  I doubt there wasn’t a young woman in the Western world who would say no to being featured in SNAP and these three might be given a chance.

The meeting broke up after a run-through of tonight’s television line-up.  I collected my stuff and sidled over to Carola.  “Thank you for the warning,” I lowered my voice.

She looked startled.  “I wasn’t warning you.”

“Why were you staring at me, then?”

“I read your frustration and anger,” she snatched her laptop off the table and turned toward me.  “It was a reminder that if I can read your body language, others can, too.  Chaz, Mina and the others weren’t watching you, but Jean-Louis was.  And I think you want to be concerned about him.”

She was right.  Not only did I have to think through what I said to him, I had to re-school my body language.  I couldn’t let an instant flush of impatience or anger show.  I had to slow down.  I thought maybe I’d have to ask the Ice Princesses for lessons in glacial coolness.

“Thank you, Carola.  I need to watch how you respond to things.  You have such composure.”

She nodded at me and went out, leaving me to face Jean-Louis.  He and I were the only people left.  He came up to me and quietly said, “Thank you for not reacting to me. The regulars don’t know about me and we need to keep anything personal out of our business relationship for now.  Are you adjusting?”

I smiled at him, keeping my resolution to myself.   “I am.  I want to talk to you about Jazz at some point.  Later tonight?”

“There are some Skype calls I have to make, but I’ll try to reach you.  I see that Carlos has been with you.  Is he being careful?”

“I guess so.  I haven’t been approached by anyone I don’t know, but then I’ve been in the office since this morning  He was at my front door when I opened it to come to work.  Where is he sleeping?”

“We rented the unit next to you.  He and Paco are sharing it.  What I meant, though, has Carlos been careful about giving you enough space?  I know it bothers you to feel closely watched.”

That stunned me.  I’d gone along bitching and grousing about being baby-sat, complaining that I was losing my freedom, thinking that Jean-Louis and the other were ignoring my wishes and only looking out for the family, and he’d heard me.  He’d given the demons orders to stay with me, to watch me, but to remain discreet and out of sight.

I felt such a rush of love and gratitude that my knees gave out and I leaned against the conference table for support.

“Thank you,” I whispered.