04

in your blood

in your blood

"DAMON, I'M GOING TO THE COMET CELEBRATION WITH MY DAD, I CAN'T BE A PART OF YOUR VAMPIRE SCHEMES."

Athena shoved kettlecorn in her mouth as she and Damon walked alongside one another through the bustling park, squinting up at the tall man through the sun as it went down behind the buildings.

"But my schemes aren't any fun unless you're there bitching about it," He draped an arm around her shoulder, shaking her roughly, making her roll her eyes.

"My dad has to go to New York soon for some stupid conference, and I plan on spending as much time with him as possible before that. As much as I want Elena and Stefan to sink like the Titanic, I'm putting this on hold for tonight."

Damon sighed, throwing his head back petulantly. He looked down at the teenage girl with the kettlecorn she had demanded. "Family is such a fickle thing, isn't it? It always gets in the way of my diabolical plans."

She shoved him towards the Grill and he laughed, making her shake her head exasperatedly. "How about, just this once, you buy me food instead of compelling me away. I'm bored these days."

Damon placed a hand on her back as they crossed the street and went towards the door of the Mystic Grill, opening it up for her with a wide grin that she huffed at. "Do you not have a hobby? Most teenage girls do... well I don't know what most teenage girls do. Sit and talk about which football player they like?"

Athena scoffed and led them towards a booth. "Football players are douchebags," She sat down across from him and set her snack aside. "I used to do lots of stuff, but lately I suppose I lost my passion for it. Or my motivation. Whichever one fits."

"Well, what did you use to do?" Damon asked as he pulled a menu out and examined it, listening to Athena over the crowd gathered inside the bar.

She shrugged, already knowing what she wanted to order. "Well, I did ballet when I was little. I was the captain of the cheerleading team, and I briefly tried volleyball but was banned from the team after I broke this girl's nose by spiking the ball directly at her face. She totally deserved it, though."

Damon smirked at that, but the tone of the conversation wasn't lost on him. He wanted to question her, but a waitress came over and took their order, halting his train of thought. They both ordered food, but Damon did so with the mindset that Athena would likely take things off of his plate because she was supposedly used to sharing food with people.

He smiled flirtatiously at the waitress as she walked off and then looked back to Athena, sobering immediately. "Why don't you do those things anymore? Some sort of rebellious teenage phase I should be worried about? Are you going to get a face piercing? Or a tattoo?"

She rolled her eyes, though the amusement dimmed at his original question. "Jesus, you're worse than my Dad. It's not a phase, Damon. It's just– after the accident in May, it feels weird to go back to my life before, like everything is still the way it was."