09

reconciliation

reconciliation

ATHENA COULDN'T HELP BUT BRING DAMON INTO A HUG THE SECOND SHE SAW HIM STANDING IN THE LIVING ROOM. Stefan had texted her earlier saying he was quote-unquote giving up on Damon's rehab, which meant he'd taken Athena's words to heart and realized she was right the whole time (shocking).

She'd rushed to the Salvatore house, a smile growing on her face as she flung herself at him, punching a grunt of surprise from him, even as he reciprocated the hug. "I still got it, even at death's door,"

Athena steps back and punches him in the arm with a glare. "Shut up," It's easy to remember why she's so easily annoyed in Damon's presence. Glancing around the otherwise empty house, she frowns. "Where's Stefan?"

"Wow, you're held captive in your own basement for a few days and suddenly you're replaced as number one vampire," Damon mocks, holding a hand over his heart and pinching his eyes shut.

He peeks an eye open and sees her flat glare, heaving a sigh at her intolerance. "I don't know, some car wash fundraiser that Caroline asked him to go to. I don't pay attention to his every move."

"Yes, you do," She scoffs at Damon but feels oddly nervous at the news that Stefan has gone to the fundraiser. Caroline was such a shit starter.

She turns to leave the Salvatore house, adjusting the strap of her bag on her shoulder as she goes.

"Where are you going?"

She heaves a sigh. "To a fundraiser, I guess,"

──────

Athena eyed the cheerleaders splashing water on one another and glanced down at her red swimsuit top. Her denim shorts were pulled up around her waist, and she wouldn't be taking them off unless Caroline had a viable threat to give her.

She walks over to the table Caroline is sitting at, counting the money they've already raised. "I hate you," She sits down across from her, and Caroline fakes ignorance.

"Why? Was it something I did?"

Athena grabs a stack of money and rolls her eyes as she begins to count it. "You know exactly what you did, you scheming bitch,"

Caroline laughs and writes a dollar amount down. "Okay, so here's the deal. No friend discounts, no freebies, no pay you laters. We are not running a charity here."

"I got it, Sarge," She mockingly salutes her ex-girlfriend, smirking at the glare she got in return.

Athena jolts when a hand lands on her shoulder and she looks up at the body it's attached to, a lax smile growing on her face at the sight of Stefan.

"Hey," He looks down at her with a grin that she tries her hardest to return without grimacing.

"Hey," She stands up and Stefan drags his hand down from her shoulder to her lower back, and she stifles a shiver when his calloused fingers rest on her exposed skin.