Laser

(Ruth's POV)

Clatter from downstairs woke me from my slumber. I checked the time on my phone. It was 7am. My eyes were drooping, and I couldn't stay awake. I went to the bathroom in the guest room to look at myself; oh, my horrid, horrid self. My hair was a mess and my clothes were wrinkled. If I were in my own house, I would not be ashamed of how I looked and would gladly go out like this. But it was not my house, I can never be myself here. I don't belong here. I took the first shirt and pants that was on top of the suitcase, took a short shower and changed. I combed down my hair and adjusted my choker. After which, I sat down on my bed and leaned on my headboard. I just could not stop thinking about my family and how I need to succeed in these upcoming missions to secure my family's spot in the Organization.

You see, my dad had suffered from a series car accident recently; just a few months ago. He had to be treated in the hospital for a couple of months, during which he could not go on any missions. So, my family really fell back on our mission count. But, don't worry, he is doing fine now, but still in the hospital. If a spy individual or a family of spies fall back on their mission count, they are practically on probation; on thin ice; and they could be kicked out at any time. So, the Organization, the Seattle branch of course, came to our house and warned us about this. My brother was only 7 months old and my mom had to take care of him so she could not go on missions. The Organization then came up with an idea of me joining a spy team, which would bring up our mission count. The team would consist of the Cooper girl, K.C., this guy called Brett and his cousin Zach. The four of us would be assigned to a series of missions. The Organization said it would take about half a year, but they themselves were not very sure about it. My family comes from a long line of spies and I am apparently the 5th generation. My family takes the Organization very seriously, especially my father and he was the first one to accept the Organization's offer. Hence, the whole family is relying on me regarding their position in the Organization. My mother sent me off saying it was no pressure and I didn't feel it then. Trust me, it is all laying down on my shoulders now. But I am going to do this, I have to. I am going to train hard, harder than I have ever trained in my life and make sure that none of these missions fail. I am sure about that.

I then got up from my bed and wore my leather jacket and walked out of my room. Then, the jacket was the only thing that was close enough to home. As I climbed downstairs to the living room, the clatter got louder. There, I saw a tall girl and a shorter boy quarrelling in the kitchen and a younger girl sitting on the couch in the living room. Mrs Cooper and another man, whom I presume was Mr Cooper, were in the kitchen preparing breakfast for the family. Quietly, I came down and sat on the living room couch, as far away from the girl as possible. Without sinking in, I sat on the edge of the couch.

Girl: So, you must be Ruth Sinclair.

Me: And you must be the Junior Undercover Digital Youth or Judy.

Judy: I see you do you research, Ruth.

Me: I see you do yours too.

I nodded curtly at Judy and immersed myself back into my daydream. Then, I got struck up into conversation again. How great!

K.C.: Wait, I thought our family only has 5 people. Right now, it seems like we got 6. Who are you? And should I say, I love your hair, what do you use?

She kept asking about my hair as she came closer. Once behind me, she started weaving her hands through my hair. A total stranger coming up to me and touching my hair. I seriously hated it! I slowly edged my way out of her grasp.

Ernie: Hello, angel. Is it just me or did the room just get brighter?

Mrs Cooper: Yes, sorry I forgot to introduce you guys. This is Ruth Sinclair, the spy who will be joining us on missions. Ruth, this is K.C., this is Ernie and this is Judy. There are 2 more spies who will be joining us. They are, don't get made at me K.C., Brett Willis and his cousin, Zach Hart. I think they will be coming later today.

Wait a minute, Brett Willis? Is he? No, he can't be. I really hope not.

K.C. and Mr Cooper: Brett Willis?

K.C.: No, no, no, not again. I thought we got rid of Brett Willis for good!

Mrs Cooper: The Organization said he joined back.

I wanted to know why K.C. and Mr Cooper hated Brett so much but that is none of my problem. I already have a lot going on in my life.

Ernie: Wait, aren't you going to school?

Mrs Cooper: Oh no, she starts from tomorrow. She gets one day to get rid of that jet lag.

Ernie: Oh, let me know when you go to school, I'll accompany you. We'll walk to school together.

Me: Yeah, stop dreaming, buddy, I'll go by myself.

Unable to take the nonsense, I went up to the guest room and decided to furnish my room. From downstairs, I could still hear the conversation.

Mrs Cooper: Stop making her feel weird, guys. She is clearly not the conversation type so just wait till she gets comfortable with us. This goes out to all of us, especially Ernie.

I could feel Mrs Cooper giving Ernie a stern glare. I tuned the conversation out and started to focus on my room, my temporary room. I took out my decorative materials and started decorating my room. I let the song 'Competition' from Little Mix play from my speakers on repeat. I placed my clothes in the dressers in the room. Then, I stocked up the washroom. Lastly, I put my training gear in the corner of my room so that I would be motivated to train when I look at them. After a few hours, my room was fully furnished, and I was proud of what I had done. I wanted to paint the walls too, but I didn't want to do too much work to a room I was only going to live in for half a year. Satisfied, I slumped on the bed and stared up at the ceiling and immersed myself into the song. Then, I heard someone enter the room followed by a loud thump.

'That's a little too repetitive, don't you think?'

I would know that voice from anywhere.

Laser.