chapter fifty five

Alora Slater POV

   Draco and I landed in my living room on the hardwood floors. Apparating does a number on your knees for landing so hard every time. There was no sign of the three of them in here, so Draco and I split up to look around. I stepped into the dining room and found the shades drawn and the lights all off, but they were nowhere to be found.

   I heard my name being called from downstairs, so I followed the voice and took a sigh of relief. The three of them were sitting around the card table in the den, Draco was standing by the stairs for me. Granger sprung up and pulled me into a hug which I tried to shake off. The other two stood up and came over to us bashfully.

   "Thank you, Alora," she whispered in my ear, not releasing her hold on me.

   "Alright thats enough of you getting all touchy with her, yeah?" Draco said angrily.

   Hermione took a step back and I could see the tears in her eyes. She pulled my wand out of her bag and handed it back to me quickly, muttering another thanks.

   "We're going to need to know what the hell is going on," Weasley said.

   "We don't really have time," Potter said with a nudge.

   "Harry, this is important," Granger said. "You two need to tell us everything you know."

   "Know?"

   "Well, you're Death Eaters, aren't you? You have to know things. Alora, especially you. I couldn't believe you didn't get killed back there, they really respect you."

   "It wasn't easy. Um, here, sit down," I motioned to the sitting area.

   The three of them sat down while Draco stood next to me in front of them. He seemed nervous so I gave his hand a quick squeeze, which the others noticed.

   "You two are really together then?" Weasley asked.

   "Yes," I said quickly.

   "For how long? How?"

   "Nine months. We got close because... well... you know," I replied.

   "You're both Death Eaters," Potter said harshly.

   His words pulled at my heartstrings briefly before I shook them off and stood tall again. I felt so judged by them, and they had every right to be shocked and angry. We're on opposite sides now, not that we ever really were on the same side.

   "Technically yes."

   "You've used the Cruciatus Curse? And the Imperius Curse? Did you burn that muggle forest down?" Potter asked.

   I took a sharp breath before answering him. Draco looked at me sadly, meaning I didn't have to tell him. But I did, they had to know everything so they could kill the Dark Lord.

   "Yes."

   "Alora, why?" Hermione gasped.

   "Being on Bellatrix's bad side was no longer survivable. Trust me, it's easier to cast the Cruciatus Curse than be on the receiving end."