Chapter 1

© Jojo B 2020

All rights including those in copyright in the content of this story are owned by Jojo B. It's Illegal to steal and/or copy.

______________________________________________________________________

Divine and Damned

Chapter 1

The razor trimmer buzzed in my hand, filling the air with its mechanic hum. A knot of anxiety coiled in my gut and my heart pounded against the cage barred across my lungs. Looking down, I held my breath.

"Okay, here it goes..." I exhaled, tilting forward.

"Don't mess it up," Joe's low voice warned me.

"Have some more confidence in me," I scoffed, meeting his blue-eyed glare.

My younger brother was sat on the toilet lid in front of me, wearing an oversized white t-shirt and some basketball shorts. His face was contorted into one of his trademark scowls, as if he wasn't the one who'd come to me for help.

"I can't do it if you're frowning like that," I pursed my lips, standing upright again. "Straighten your face."

He sighed heavily and tried once more, smoothing out his expression somewhat, but a crease of unease remained between his brows.

Eh. Good enough.

Letting out another quick breath, I bit on my lip before leaning down once more. Raising the trimmer to his left eyebrow, I paused to make sure I was in the right position.

"The corner of my eyebrow," Joe repeated for the hundredth time.

"I know," I rolled my eyes back.

All it needed was one slight touch, and then Joe would have the killer eyebrow slit he'd been going on about for weeks. I still didn't see why he hadn't attempted it himself, instead of putting all the pressure on me, but I was curious about doing it - so here we were.

Slowly closing the gap between the humming razor and his thick brow, I nibbled my bottom lip as I made the connection. The vibrating metallic edge kissed my brother's brow, and I carefully guided it along. Joe was stock still, holding his breath as I held his reputation in my grip. If it went wrong...well, everyone would know it.

"Okay, I've almost got it," I nodded to myself. "Just this little bit here."

"Okay," he mumbled back, his eyes locked on my hazel ones.

I'd just about created the perfect slit when I adjusted my footing a little and my hand slid.

As did the rest of Joe's eyebrow.

My eyes rounded as I watched half his eyebrow disintegrate and sprinkle down, peppering his t-shirt with tiny hairs.

"Shit," my voice was quieter than a whisper.

"What did you do?!" Joe hissed, his eyes just as wide as mine.

I stepped back, shaking my head and opening my mouth as I prepared to argue. Joe leapt up from the toilet and spun around to look into the bathroom mirror, his face a mask of horror as he rubbed his partially missing eyebrow.

"I mean, it's not that bad," I tried. "It could be the new thing!"

"Vienna," Joe growled, his shoulders stiffening in growing rage.

I crept towards the door, "Having half an eyebrow is fine! I could do the other one for you to make it even if you like."

"Don't you dare," he turned around to face me, jaw clenched.