Preface

The Telmarines came in the night. They were silent in their attack and their weapons were deadly as the wiped out my kind and took their bodies out of the water, laying them on the cold and dark ground to mock their deaths. But there was nothing that I could do, I was barely five years old. I grew up that day, as my mother pushed me out of the water and into the forests around us, I remember trying to crawl back to her, but I was in too much pain as my sleek tail transformed into a set of weak and wobbly human legs. "Heidi, you must go, run" my mother instead and pushed me further onto the land. I could hear the screams of death in the distance. "Mamma" I whined. I was cold, weak and I didn't understand what was going on. "My darling we will see each other again in Aslan's kingdom, but for now you must run"

"Run where mama?" I asked

"Darling just run, you must survive" she whispered. I could see the tears in her eyes but before I could whisper out another sound, there was a flash and a scream as a crossbow bolt hit her tail and blood changed the clear blue water red. Fear ran through me and before I knew what I was doing I had scrambled onto my shaking legs and was running through the trees. "GET HER!" I could hear the Telmarines shout as I ran but I just kept moving. The branches of the trees pushed me along and through panting breath whispered thank you to them.