Chapter Three

"We're lost, admit it" I moaned and Edmund chucked as he jumped up over a root in his path. 

"Heidi is right, I don't remember this way at all" Susan added

"That's the problem with girls, you can't carry a map in your heads" Peter retorted and I scoffed. I was beginning to not like Peter all that much, he seemed a bit pig-headed for my liking. Nothing like his strong-headed and sweet sisters of Edmund who was much more gentle in his approach. "Well I've mentally mapped every river, stream and cost line in Narnia, and I can tell you that to get to the Shuddering Woods this id definitely not the way" I snapped back at him. He pulled a snarky expression but pushed on. 

"Well, at least our heads have something in them" Lucy retorted back to her brother "I wish he would just listen to Heidi and the DLF" she added to her sister. 

"DLF?" Edmund, Trumpkin and I asked in unison

"Dear Little friend" Lucy explained and she and Susan laughed

"Well that's not at all patronising" Trumpkin huffed

"I think it's supposed to be affectionate" I grinned at him although I could see his point. 

We reached the end of the path we had been on, a dead end surrounded by tall stones that formed an inescapable wall. "I'm not lost" Peter insisted again

"No, you're just going the wrong way" said Trumpkin "there is no crossing in these parts"

"That explains it, your mistaken" Peter said. 

"Well we have to turn back at any rate."

We turned back and headed towards the gorge. Trumpkin was right, no crossing. Just a sheer rock face down to the rushing water below and trees either side of the high cliffs. "Over hundred of years water eroded the earth's soil-" Susan began but Peter interrupted her

"Oh shut up. Is there a way down?" he asked

"Yeah, falling. But there is a ford at Beruna" Trumpkin informed us. "Looks like we're going to be swimming"

"Heidi will have to show us the best swimming methods she has"  Lucy laughed and I laughed with her. "I'd love to see your tail someday if that's not rude to say?"

"Well, your majesty, we shall have to see. The transformation can be painful, so I try to save doing it if I don't have to. I'm sure you understand" I told her with a smile and she nodded. 

"It hurts?" Ed asked and I nodded "Sorry."

"It's no ones' fault. You get used to it I suppose" I shrugged and tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear. "Come on, its a trek to Beruna." As we turned to leave and head in the direction of the ford Lucy let out a little squeak before pointing to the other side of the gorge. "Aslan!?" she cried. "It's Aslan! over there!" the rest of us looked in bemusement to where she was pointing. I saw no large golden lions "Can't you see him? He's right there!" she said her head twitched between looking at us and looking at the point. But her words trailed off as she too realised there was nothing there. "Do you see him now?" Trumpkin snorted

"I'm not crazy" she snapped "He was there, he wanted us to follow him"

"I'm sure that there is any number of lions in this wood, just like that bear" Peter said and put a hand on her shoulder to try and steer her away. " I think I would know Aslan when I see him" she looked at her siblings hoping for one of them to believe her. I didn't see anything myself, but I wasn't sure if that meant there was nothing there. "I'm not about to jump off a cliff after someone who doesn't exist' Trumpkin huffed and peered down the side of the ravine with a look of disgust. Lucy looked to Edmund, I assumed he would be the most likely to believe her. He looked from her to me, to Peter thinking carefully about his words. "The last time I didn't believe lucy, I ended up looking pretty stupid" he said. 

Peter paused for a moment, thinking and looked back at the spot on the other side of the river. "Why wouldn't I have seen him?" he asked and I rolled my eyes. I was right about this guy, he was so entitled. "Maybe you weren't looking" Lucy said 

"Maybe the world doesn't revolve around you" I muttered and Trumpkin punch my leg "Ow" I moaned.

"I'm sorry, Lu" Peter said before walking off. 

"Is he always like this?" I asked Ed and he nodded

"Unfortunately. You should have seen him as high king," he muttered back at me and I chuckled. 

"What happened last time?" I asked as we headed off after Peter. Edmund thought about it for a moment and in a low voice told me what happened all those years ago. How they came through the wardrobe and he hadn't believed her that Narnia even existed. "I suppose it makes sense if I traveled to a completely different world I doubt I would have believed anyone. I doubt you were totally in the wrong" I said and nudged him with a gentle smile. 

"Oh no, I was definitely in the wrong but I can see your point."

"What was it like then? Narnia?" I asked. Edmund smiled thoughtfully and sighed. 

"It was beautiful, it really was the Golden age. Everything was a warm colour and we had feasts and we rode for days and-" he cut himself off "you would have loved it."

"It sounds beautiful"

"Not as half as beautiful as you," he said quickly and I stopped in my tracks to look at him. "Sorry I-" he stuttered. "I don't know where that came from." I pulled what I hoped was a kind, but a dismissive expression. "I'm flattered your majesty, truly. But I-"

"I understand, you like Peter" he said and began to walk on. I grabbed the sleeve of his shirt to stop him. "No, actually, I think he's a bit of a brat actually. It's just that I'm not interested in anyone, I am good on my own. So I am flattered, truly, but no." I explained. "But I would love it if we could be friends?"

"Sure, friends," Edmund said with a dejected look on his face and he pulled his arm free before walking on.