Chapter 2: Memories

Twelve Years Later

I'm getting ready for the day to go out into the city and start dancing. I'm going out with my best friend and my sister Esmeralda. She isn't biologically related to me. We've known eachother since I was 4 and a half and she was 6, our mothers were best friends up until her mother disappeared and my mother died.

I have this fear of fire, because our house burned down when I was four and a half. We lived in Greece, my mother was Greek and my father was a frenchman. Cloupin knew my mother and they were good friends, he was the one who told me that my father came over to Greece to explore but found her instead and they fell in love and had me.

My father was going to take her back to France after I was born. My mother didn't want to though because she wanted her baby to have some experience with one of her countrys. When I was old enough we headed up to France for the biggest event there. The annual Festival Of Fools, which is where I met my best friend and sister Esmeralda. We took the same carriage over and we went, and what I didn't know was that my mother and Esmeraldas were going to dance there.

When they danced, they danced with grace and beauty. The way they bent and swung just made me want to be just like them. And that's what I did, or should say aimed at doing. We stayed in Notre Dame until the Festival was over then we started our week's journey home. Esmeralda and her family went home a day earlier sadly but I still had my family. On the way home though is when it went bad, we were followed by a small group of french men. My parents told me to wait inside the carriage while they went inside a small road side hotel.

The group of french men burned down the hotel and my parents were trying to get everyone out. But they didn't make it. I ran as fast as I could, tears streaming down my face, until I found a small raft, I shoved it into the water with all my strength and jumped on it. I was headed back to the docks of Notre Dame, which hopefully I can find some help when I get there. When I got there were only guards sitting there watching. I got off thinking about getting help but they were too intimidating.

I hid behind a bunch of barrels for a couple days until a man wearing a funny outfit came up to me asking if I needed help. He was weaning a fancy light blue hat with a yellow feather sticking out of the right side. The mysterious man wore a jester costume full of purples, blues, pinks and yellows underneath a black cloak and he had a piercing through his left ear. I just realized that it was the Jester from the Festival, and he was friends with my mother.

He gives me a small smile before speaking softly to me. "Do you remember me?" I nod softly. "Good, but where are your parents mon ange?" I started to sniffle before letting out my tears again. "Oh little one come here." he says before pulling me into his chest and already knowing what happened to them. He rubs my back comfortingly and lifts up my chin so I look at him. " I will keep you safe and I will protect you until my dying day. Do you want to come with me and have a place to stay hummingbird.."

I nod my head and slowly stand up with him. He picks me up and carries me away from where I was for the last little bit. I hold on to him with a death grip before slowly drifting off.

"Hey you ok Imagin." I hear a voice say. It sounds so far off, or maybe I am really far off in my thoughts, I don't know. "Earth to Imagin, are you there or did you go off to another world." A hand is waved in front of my face and I jump when I come back to my thoughts.

"What, sorry." I said back to the person. I looked to where the voice was coming from and saw Esmeralda and Djali waiting for me. Djali was just eating the food that I left for him in my tent. Esmeralda was staring at me like I lost my mind. "I'm ok I promise." I tried to reassure her. She gives me a look that makes me want to just jump up and leave. "I was just thinking and having flashbacks."

She walks over to where I was and sits down in front of me, her beautiful big emerald eyes bore into my teary grey ones. She lifts up one of her hands and wipes away my tears before grabbing my hands and holding them and thinks. "Were you thinking about them again?" I nod my head and look down at our woven hands, a couple tears fall down and drop onto our hands. "Hey come here." she tells me softly and I crawl over into her lap and hug her. She wraps her arms around me and holds me tight.

Djali and my cat Bastet come over and start cuddling up with me. Tears fall down my face and onto Esmeraldas shoulder while she rubs my back. I pull away after a couple of minutes and stare at her. "I'm sorry I hate doing this to you and I'm sorry for crying on you and getting your shoulder again and and..." I start before looking down. A bronze brown hand lifts up and puts up my head.

"Hey it's ok, you don't have to apologize to me. Hey look at me." she says and I sadly look up at her. "You are my sister, you don't have to say sorry to me for crying on my shoulder. That is what I am here, I'm here for you always." I nod and give her another small hug.

"Thank you Esmeralda for everything that you have done for me. I couldn't have asked for a better sister." I say and pull away. I jump up immediately and run over to my makeup area, which consists of a small mirror on a blanket that Cloupin has purchased for me. He got it for me when he first took me in. Before I continued anymore I turned back to Esmeralda and smiled. She raises an eyebrow before saying what I was going to say, "shall we get ready for dancing."

She gives me a bright smile, "that's my girl." She walks over to where my hair supplies is and starts to do my hair.

My long dark blonde hair is curled before she takes one of my scarves and ties it in my hair. She chose my scarf that has silver rose engravings in the light blue fabric. I finish my makeup, which ended up being a desert rose colour, and turn around and go over to my dancer outfit. My outfit has a loose fitting white blouse that opens up in the chest a little bit, with a light blue corset with silver stripes. With a beautiful navy blue skirt that goes down to my mid shins, and a light blue belly dancer hip scarf that has golden roses hanging off of it from golden chains. To finish off the look a singular golden earring with some golden bangles, one on each of my wrist and one on my ankle, and a cuff.

Me and Esmeralda have very similar outfits because we are a pair in our preformances. Emeralda is a beautiful dancer out there with her tambourine and Djali. They are so good at doing it. She's beautiful in general and even more beautiful when she dances. She and Cloupin are the ones that have trained me to dance, which they already think I am a natural already. I started at the age of ten and have done it ever since, and don't plan to stop as long as Esmeralda continues or I don't die.

Us gypsies that dance on the streets don't have to worry about anything but one. The most prejudiced, racist, sexist man in all of Paris. Judge Claude Frollo. At least that's what I have heard. I do agree with what they say but I have only ever had one encounter with him and that was when he "saved" me from the drunk men, a couple months after Cloupin saved me from the docks. He is a bad person but everyone can have redemption right.

I shake out of my thoughts and turn to face Esmeralda who just stares at me in aw. "So what do you think?" I ask her nervously. This is my first time being in my gypsy dancer outfit ever. She and Cloupin have been piecing it together for years apparently, or at least that what they said last night when they told me I can go out with her today. I always just had a jester looking dress for dancing. But now that I am 15 I can go to the streets of Notre Dame with her and use my beautiful outfit.

All Esmeralda does is jump up and run over and hug me. She pulls away exclaims, "you look gorgeous Imagin. Oh my goodness you're so beautiful." she grabs my hand and starts dragging me to the entrance of the tent. We rush over quickly and run up the stairs to exit the Court Of Miracles. "Are you ready?" she asks me. I quickly nod before we both push open the door together and head out into the afternoon sun and head into the city.