Three

Jesper pounded on the door of the Van Eck mansion impatiently, eager to be back home. Nina looked on in quiet amusement.

Moments later, a hassled Wylan opened the door. His russet locks of hair were tousled, and his eyes were drooping with exhaustion.

"Where were you? I was worrie—" The boy was cut off by Jesper quickly giving him a peck.

"I... ran into a friend." Jesper smiled, revealing Nina. "Nina! It's been so long!" The blue-eyed boy pulled Nina into a hug.

He drew away, critically surveying the girl. She looked much thinner since he had last seen her. Far too thin. Her frame seemed gaunt, almost.

He shook away the thought, choosing to focus on the moment. "Come in — I take it you're spending the night?" The boy inquired. "I — only if you're okay with it," Nina replied.

"I wouldn't have taken no for an answer!" Wylan claimed, ushering the Heartrender in.

Nina gasped when she stepped inside — she had forgotten how royal the Van Eck mansion was.

The spacious floor was lined with marble tables and flowers. A diamond chandelier hung from the wide ceiling. Glass staircases led up to the next floor. The house could pass as a small palace.

"Enjoying the view?" Jesper smirked, then walked into the kitchen. "I'm making you dinner, Wylan, to make up for being late and giving you a premature heart attack." The boy called out, laughing. He busied himself in the efforts of making a passable meal.

"I'm not very hungry — thanks again for the waffles, Jesper — so I think I'll go to sleep," Nina said, exhausted after her day.

"Of course — here, I'll take you to your room." Wylan led the girl up the stairs and into one of the mansion's many guest rooms. After being sure that Nina was comfortable, Wylan made his way back downstairs.

He hadn't seen Jesper for hours, and missed the boy terribly. The two finally had some time alone.

He tried sneaking down, but Jesper heard the russet-haired boy. "Oh Merchling, you forget that I've been a part of the Dregs for years now. Heightened senses," Jesper chuckled.

Wylan huffed, and settled for wrapping his arms around the Zemeni boy from behind. He rested his chin at the crook of the Sharpshooter's neck, nuzzling into the boy.

"So, how's Nina doing?" Jesper asked, boiling pasta. "She's been very lethargic these days — you taking her out tired her, but it was much needed. Thank you for doing that," Wylan replied. Jesper smiled at the boy in response.

"Of course, she's still grieving — understandably so — she did just lose the love of her life. I don't know what I would do if I lost you," Wylan murmured, kissing his boyfriend on the cheek softly.

Jesper turned around at that, dinner forgotten. "Hey — you aren't losing me. You're going to have to deal with this gangly mess for years to come," he said, gesturing at his long frame.

Wylan beamed affectionately. Jesper could have melted at the sight — the Merchling's innocent blue eyes were shining bright, his russet curls bouncing.

Wylan looked up at his Sharpshooter, admiring the Zemeni boy's angular face.

It was a beautiful moment — but it didn't last for long. Nina stood at the doorway, a smile toying with her face.