Chase

I LEFT WORK at eight-thirty and rushed home to shower before picking up Mackenzie. After locking up, I headed to my car and to my dismay, found Mattie parked next to my Mustang. At first I didn't recognize the car, because it was her mom's BMW. When I realized it was her, I groaned inwardly.

She rolled down her window and smiled at me. "Hi."

I walked over to the Beemer. "What are you doing here?"

Mattie's smile faltered. "I just wanted to see you."

"You saw me at school. Look, I have things to do. I gotta go." I knew it sounded rude, but she just wasn't taking the hint.

"You mean you've got someone to meet," she said coldly.

So, she knew about Mackenzie.

Was she stalking me?

I sighed. "It's not like that."

"Then what is it, Chase?"

"It's exactly what we talked about. Us just being friends."

"So you can date other people," she said bitterly.

The sadness in her eyes made me feel like a dickhead. But, I didn't feel the same way about her anymore. It wasn't something I'd intended to happen, and I honestly felt bad about it. I tried explaining it to her, which ended up making Mattie even more upset.

"It's because of her, isn't it?" she asked, on the verge of tears.

"No, of course not. It was over before Mackenzie."

Mattie got out of the car. "Is it because of Gus? I swear, nothing happened between us."

"No. Look, I have to get going."

She threw her arms around me. "Please don't do this, Chase. We're supposed to be together."

"Mattie, stop," I said, trying to push her away as she clung to me. I didn't want to hurt her, but she wouldn't let go. "Enough!""

She stiffened up, and before I knew it was hitting me in the chest and calling me names.

Shocked at her hysterics, I grabbed her wrists. "Stop it. What in the hell are you doing? Have you been drinking?"

Openly crying now, Mattie tried pulling away. "You asshole! Don't think I don't know you're doing all of this for Mackenzie!"

I released her. "There's nothing between us," I argued.

"I've seen the way you look at her. You broke up with me so you could be with that... that slut!"

"It's not true," I said. "Calm down."

"How can you stand to even be near her? She keyed your car. She's spreading rumors about me. Nobody likes her. I think she might have done something to our food earlier. When the girls and I were at Herschel's."

I stared at her in surprise. "Why, did someone get sick?"

"No. But, she probably spit in our food. She's a lying, conniving, little bitch. I don't trust her."

"Calm down," I repeated, softening my voice. "This has nothing to do with her. I didn't even know Mackenzie when we talked about this. Us just being friends."

"Are you sure about that?" she snapped, backing away from me.

"Of course I am. Look, if you don't believe me, then I don't know what more I can say to you, Mattie."

She got back into the Beemer. "You're going to regret this, Chase. As soon as you're bored with her, you're going to want me back and it'll be too late. I'll be with someone else."