Part 6

"A...dance?" I repeat hesitantly.

"Yes! A dance! Think about it, it'll be fun! Weiss and I will plan because we're the most experienced, obviously-"

"But we've only ever planned one dance-" Weiss interjects.

"Yes, making us far more experienced than anyone else here," Yang replies confidently, "We can send invites out to the rest of the teams too, and I can finally redeem my eighteen year old self for that god awful white dress I wore."

"All jokes aside, a dance could actually be quite fun," Ren admits.

We each look at each other, pondering the idea in our heads.

Jaune raises his hands defensively, "As long as I dont have to wear a dress again, I'm cool with it."

We all laugh, remembering the moment fondly. A dance seems stupid and petty in light of everything we've gone through, but then again, maybe that's exactly what we need.

"Alright then," I grin, "It's settled. Beacon will have its first annual dance in five years."

"Hell yeah!" Nora whoops, "Just like old times! Minus the teachers...and also we're all like super old."

"Twenty-three is not super old Nora," Ren laughs.

"Oh what I'd give to be nineteen like you again tiny Oz," she sighs making Oscar laugh.

"No way, I can legally get my hands on booze now, I'd sooner die than go back to nineteen." Yang says in disgust.

"Always the life of the party Yang." Blake giggles.

"Alright," I say, standing up and brushing the dust from my jeans, "I suppose we better get this room finished then. We got some work to do before this thing goes ahead."

"Leave it to me." A smooth voice says. We all turn in the direction of the voice, recognising it immediately.

"I must say, you students have done an excellent job cleaning up around here. A dance sounds like a wonderful idea to celebrate your efforts. You deserve it."

The tall witch smiles at us gently, wand in hand already shining and ready to go.

"Glynda!" We all cry. We run towards our old teacher as she chuckles.

"I cant believe you're back!" I gasp.

"The world's well on it's way to recovery, I'm no longer needed out there."

"Well we're glad you're home," Weiss smiles.

"So am I. It's an honour to be in the presence of such accomplished huntsmen and huntresses. And oh my, look how much you've all grown! I know your path here hasn't been easy but you should all be very proud, just as Ozpin would be."

The tears are in my eyes before I know what to do with them, and looking around, I see that I'm not the only one. After so long fighting, not ever really sure if we were on the right path, Glynda's praise brings out the child in us who just wants to make the adults proud.

"What? No hello for me? I see how it is." A husky voice says from behind the doors.

"Qrow?" Yang and I say in unison. The old huntsmen peeks his head around the corner, grey hair flopped over his eyes.

"How's it going kiddos?"

Yang and I waste no time launching into his arms, almost toppling him over.

"Easy now," he groans, "I'm not as young as I used to be you know."

We laugh, burying our faces in his cloak. Now the tears really are flowing. With Qrow home, I'm the safest I've felt in years.

"And neither are the two of you I see. All grown up already?"

I laugh through the tears. "Not even close."

Glynda and Qrow coming home was a very welcome surprise. Qrow had been gone since we defeated Salem, much to Yang and I's dismay, but it felt like years had past. For Glynda on the other hand, years really had past. We hadn't seen her since the fall of Beacon half a decade ago, but she remembered us well. Turns out, she had spent her years in Vacuo, helping the school and protecting the relic. Well, that and spending time with her children, who she's never spoken much about but I know she is fiercely protective of.

When we've all gone back home to the apartment and eaten more than our stomachs can handle, I find Qrow sitting alone on the balcony and take a seat beside him.

"Hey kiddo." He smiles, scruffing up my hair.

"Hey old timer," I laugh, "I'm glad you're back."

"Me too Rubes, me too. So how have things been here? You been holding down the fort while I was gone?"

I stare at my feet awkwardly. I've always had a desire to make my uncle Qrow proud, ever since I could remember.

"Hardly," I whisper, "I haven't been much of a leader these past few months."

I can feel him looking at me carefully, like my face was a book and he was reading every word to try and figure it out. After a few moments of silence, he finally speaks.

"You been having nightmares?"

I look up in shock. How could he have known? Do I look tired? Was it just a good guess?

"How did-"

"You know, when your mum died, I almost lost myself completely."

He looks out over the city, like he's lost in thought, and I let him keep going.

"I was so broken, so completely and utterly ridden with pain and guilt. I had convinced myself that it was my fault, that it was my luck that took her from us. If I had've just went with her on that mission...maybe." He pauses for a moment to still his shaking hands. "She haunted my dreams for years after that. Every night, I'd hear her screaming. So I started drinking to block it out. It took me a long time to figure out that it wasn't my fault. That there's nothing I could've done. I wasted years wallowing in the guilt when I could've been there for your dad, helping with you and your sister." He looks at me, eyes stern and unnerving, "But you're not going to make the same mistake. Your friends, they need you, and you need them Ruby. You're not burdening them by letting them help you. You're just saving yourself and them years of wasted time."

I turn to see everyone in the lounge room, some deep in food coma's, others talking excitedly with Glynda about all the adventures she missed out on. Their laughter is so loud I can hear it even through the glass, making the room light and inviting. And then, far in the corner, sitting alone in the dark, a boy with with hazel eyes, head in his hands like he was trapped in a daze. Trapped in a memory.

"You're not alone Ruby. You guys need each other. But you have to let them in."

I nod, but I cant take my eyes off of Oscar. The way he tenses his muscles, grips his hair like he wants to pull it from his head, curls his fists until they're white as snow. The symptoms I know all too well. Maybe Qrow was right. Maybe I wasn't the only one suffering. Maybe things had to get worse before they could get better.

"Thanks for the talk uncle Qrow." I say, tearing my eyes away from Oscar and forcing a smile.

"Anytime kiddo."

I stand to leave, but Qrow calls out after me.

"Oh and Ruby? This dance idea, its smart. You guys deserve a chance to feel like kids again. Enjoy it okay?"

I smile, "You better start practicing your moves old man, 'cause your chaperoning."

He laughs, "Oh you better believe I will be kicking ass on that dance floor."

"Glad to hear it." And I'm smiling again, a real smile, which is almost becoming a common occurrence. Maybe things really are getting better.