Chapter 16

I took a deep breath then I dived into the water. I swam as hard and as fast as I could. I reached the rocky path. I popped out of the water. A Tribute also popped out of the water a little farther down. Crap. I jumped into the rocky path and started running just as the other Tribute did too. I looked around. Other Tributes were running down the other rocky paths. One of the Tributes beside me tripped. I ran into the center and quickly grabbed the bow and arrows. The Tribute that tripped was running up to me now. I shot an arrow into his leg and he fell into the water. I saw something move out of the corner of my eye and I immediately aimed at the movement. There stood Finnick. He held a spear in his left hand and put his right hand up in defense. I saw a gold band around his wrist.

"Good thing we're allies right?" Finnick said.

"Where did you get that?" I asked.

"Where do you think?" Finnick said. He looked past me.

"Duck." He ordered. I quickly ducked out of the way as he threw a spear over my head and into a Tributes chest. A cannon went off. He just saved my life.

"Don't trust 1 and 2. I'll take this side. You hold them off. I'll go find Peeta." Finnick demanded. He took the spear out of the guy's chest and went around the corner. I saw a girl running down the rocky path. I aimed and released but she dove into the water out of the way. Suddenly Finnick came back around the corner.

"Maddie. Mags found him. He's over here." Finnick said. I could hear the worry in his voice. I followed Finnick around the corner and down a rocky path. Mags stood there pointing. I ran up to her and followed her finger. Peeta was in the water with another Tribute. They were both fighting each other. Finnick jumped into the water. I aimed my bow but I didn't release because I was afraid I'd hit Peeta. Suddenly they both went underwater. A cannon sounded. I started to hyperventilate. No. Not Peeta. A body floated to the surface face down. Is it Peeta? Please don't let it be Peeta. Finnick finally got to the body. Suddenly Peeta popped out of the water. I slowly exhaled. I was so relieved. I looked back over to the center and saw 1 and 2 talking. They must be teaming up.

***

We emerged from the lake and started running into the tropical jungle. Mags was on Finnick's back. We kept running and running deeper into the jungle.

"Okay hold up." Finnick said. We've been running for about 30 minutes maybe more. We crouched down catching our breath. Sweat ran down my face. Flies buzzed all around us.

"God it's hot. We gotta find fresh water." Peeta panted. Where would we find fresh water around here? Suddenly the cannon went off three times.

"Well I guess were not holding hands anymore." Finnick chuckled.

"You think that's funny?" I said dryly.

"Every time that cannon goes off, it's music to my ears. I don't care about any of them." Finnick said.

"Good to hear." I sighed pulling out my machete.

"Want to face the Career Pack alone? What would Haymitch say?" Finnick said.

"Haymitch isn't here." I retorted.

"Let's keep moving." Peeta said. We all got up. Mags got onto Finnick's back again. This time we walked. Me and Peeta both had our machetes out slicing away hanging branches. Peeta was in the front and I was in the back. Suddenly I stopped. Something didn't feel right. I watched ahead as Peeta sliced away branches. I saw shining. Like a faint shimmering. Oh no. Peeta walked right toward it.

"Peeta no!" I screamed. But it was too late. Peeta hit the force field and it sent everyone flying. I landed with a thud. I quickly got up. I saw Peeta lying unconscious on the ground.

"Peeta." I gasped. I crawled over to him. I held his face.

"He's not breathing. He's not breathing." I cried. Finnick ran over and started CPR on him.

"Peeta please wake up." I repeated over and over. I didn't hear a cannon yet so he's still alive. Come on Peeta. I sobbed. Suddenly Peeta gasped for air.

"Peeta. Peeta. Oh my God." I breathed. I cupped his face. Peeta opened his eyes.

"Be careful. There's a force field up there." Peeta said. I laughed even though I was still crying. I kissed him on the lips.

"Oh my God. You were dead." I cried. I ran my fingers through his hair.

"You were dead. You're heart stopped." I sobbed.

"It's okay. It's working now." Peeta said. I hugged him tightly.

"Do you want to stand up?" I asked.

"Yeah." Peeta said. I helped him up to his feet. Then I hugged him again. I was still shaking from the commotion.

"It's okay." Peeta whispered. I don't know what I would've done if I lost Peeta. Too many people have been lost. I don't know how many more I can lose before I break.