✨twelve✨

"Until the lion learns how to write, every story will glorify the hunter"

✨ "Until the lion learns how to write, every story will glorify the hunter" ✨

      The walk went well. Brynn laughed and had the time of her life. She and Sage reminisced about the old times and Damon joined in, adding a few comments and whatnot. And then when Brynn gained enough confidence, she wrapped her arms around Damon's neck and kissed him. It was such a great day.

Yeah, right.

Brynn couldn't handle it. After five minutes she bailed and went to check on Stefan instead.

Sage was talking about Finn and although Brynn supported their relationship, she didn't enjoy hearing about their sex life. Ugh, gross!

Damon had raised a brow at her but didn't question her leaving. Thank God or she would never have been able to give him a straight answer.

Every time she looked at him her stomach did somersaults, and she didn't like it one bit.

So she went to the one person who was in his feelings all the time to feel better about her horrible life; Stefan Salvatore.

She finds him in the basement drinking a blood bag. But what surprised Brynn was the ten other empty blood bags scattered across the floor.

"Oh, Stefan." She bends down and grabs the bags, stacking them up and holding them in her arms because she couldn't find a trash can.

He looks up at her, shame clouding his eyes. "I. . . I can't control it. Not like I used to."

She sighs, leaning over to sit on one of the chairs set against the wall. "It's never easy."

"I want to ask you to help me, but I don't think I can be helped." He mutters and that alone nearly broke her heart.

"You aren't helpless, Stefan. We're vampires; we drink blood. It's who we are and nothing can change it."

"But you-"

"I don't drink a lot of blood because I don't want to rely on something to keep me alive. If I can manage without blood, I will."

"But. . . Why?"

London. That was the one word answer she could provide, and although he'd be confused, Brynn knows all the power that word holds when it comes out of her mouth.

She didn't just leave London because of the rainy weather; she left because something happened that ruined her. Both emotionally and physically.

New Orleans was her safe haven; Isaiah and Gabi and Marcel and Davina. . . But even they didn't know the truth. And just when she thought it didn't matter anymore, here she is, thinking about it.

"You want the truth?" Stefan nods. "I don't think I can help you. You have to want it and I don't think you fully do." She sends him a small smile, standing up and holding her hand out for him to take. "Come on, I'm in dire need of a drink."

***

While Brynn was helping Stefan, Damon and Sage continued their walk to the boarding house.

"So. . . Finn?"

"He's my one true love. He turned me so we could be together forever. Then Klaus daggered him and locked him away and I've been waiting ever since. Please don't tell me that you and Rebekah are friends."

"No way, I'm not a fan of crazy." Damon mutters, kicking a rock that was in his path.

"What about Brynn?"

He glances at her. "What about Brynn?"

"I sensed some tension between the two of you."

"Good or bad tension?"

"Sexual." Damon nearly chokes on his salvia.

"Ahh, and by that reaction I'm assuming I'm right!" Sage smirks, looking at how uncomfortable the observation made the vampire. "It's okay. Brynn's sweet. If I was gay, I'd totally date her."

Damon clicks his tongue. "Yeah, well, you're out of luck because she's taken."

Sage's eyebrows shoot up. "Really?"

"Yep," Damon nods, trying not to make his sadness any more noticeable than it already is. "I heard her talking on the phone; the two of them seemed very comfortable with each other."

"Did she say 'I love you'?" Sage waits for his answer, which she automatically knew it was a no.

Even though Brynn changed drastically since the last time she's seen her, she knew how Brynn operated.

She had feelings, sure, but she wasn't going to show them unless you're someone super important to her.

Sage always liked Brynn because she only ever showed her true colors to someone who meant something to her. That's how Sage knew she and Brynn were friends; Brynn opened up.

If Brynn didn't open up to whoever was on the other end of that phone, then Damon had nothing to worry about.

"It doesn't matter. I don't need to worry about her anyway, I already have this Elena issue."

"Elena. . . Elena. . . Why does that name sound familiar?"

"She's Katherines doppelgänger."

Although Sage's feet keep walking, her face freezes. "Katherine. . . Pierce? I know you didn't fall in love with someone that resembles that bitch."

"Yeah, well, that bitch was Brynn's best friend back in 1864."

Sage nods, already knowing of the fact that Brynn befriended a monster. "Brynn has herself a variety of friends; Katherine was lucky to have her."

"So why did the two of you fall out of touch, anyway?" Damon asks.

"Well, when Klaus stuffed Finn in a coffin I couldn't stand being around him anymore. At the time Brynn was devoted to her family, so she didn't want to leave. I fled while Brynn stayed there and we kept in touch with letters and whatnot, but it wasn't the same.

"She found me years later and told me she was going to London for a while."

"Yeah, I remember her mentioning something like that, but she doesn't talk about it."

"I don't know much either; all I know is that she was different when she came back."

"What do you mean by different?"

Sage shrugs. "That was when she stopped wearing long dresses and her hair up in that bun she always wore."

Damon remembered that bun, it was a golden color and always was pinned up with a pink ribbon. He missed that ribbon and the person wearing it.

"She just changed. . . She was more bold and reckless, but never too reckless where she couldn't be pulled back over the edge. London changed her."

Damon digested all of these facts. She told Stefan and him yesterday that she didn't want to drink blood because that meant she had to rely on it.

Did something happen in Europe that made her not want to drink blood? But what could make a vampire not want to drink something they craved?

A person? That boy she was talking to?

Damon didn't know, but he intended to find out.