Chapter [1]: introduction, miss (y/n) zoldyck

Current Song: Sunflower Feelings - Kuzu Mellow

[1]

     (Y/n) knew that they didn't exactly have a normal family, but dinner was dinner, so she wanted them to behave at least a little bit. It would have been nice, to just enjoy their company without any talk of any murder of crime, or anything having to do with their professions. It was a distant thought, especially since Killua was visiting. He had just finished his time at Greed Island and had decided to visit home for once. It was supposed to be a nice family occasion, Alluka and Kalluto were well-behaved, but (Y/n) couldn't say the same for the rest of the family. Not exactly, anyway.

     (Y/n) Zoldyck was basically the middle child of the family. She was only a year younger than Milluki, making her sixteen. She was also the only other Zoldyck child with white hair, the same cat-like clue eyes as her father, Silva. However, being the third eldest made no difference. She had made it her job to at least try to keep her family in check. Usually, Illumi was easy, he had soft spots for his siblings, and there wasn't an actual problem until he brought his friend Hisoka Morrow around. She had heard enough about the clown from her little brother and didn't particularly like him.

     Right then... she was ready to lose her mind.

     'Mother is being hysterical again,' she thought to herself, sitting at the dinner table with her hands folded. (Y/n) had never been especially religious, in fact, she had never prayed in her life, but right now... a miracle was seriously needed. Killua was arguing fiercely with Illumi, which was just a one-sided argument if she were, to be honest with herself. Milluki was complaining about being outside of his room and losing time that could be used to watch anime, honesty something she could understand at this point. Grandpa Zeno was grumbling something under his breath, father was sitting with a grimace on his face as Kikyo shrieked outcries as she listened to the profanities that flew out of Killua's mouth. Kalluto, who was sitting right next to (Y/n), sat quietly, his small hands curling around the fabric of her sweater. Alluka, much like (Y/n), was sitting awkwardly as everything went down.

     Honestly, she felt like crying. This should have been normal, for them anyway. They were a family of assassins (excluding her), so it wasn't too odd for them to bicker. However, Killua had been gone from home for such a long time, things were mostly quiet, just the occasional anime debate between herself and Milluki. She found some comfort in the sound of her brother letting loose on Illumi, as odd as it may have sounded.

     'Killua sounds healthy, at least. His voice hasn't given out, not even once. That's... pretty impressive, actually.'

     (Y/n) looks down at Kalluto. As the youngest, she knows that a lot is weighing on his shoulders. Too many expectations, or not enough. There was never an in-between, she knew that all too well. It wasn't that she was picking favorites, but (Y/n) always felt like he needed extra attention, so she had given it to him, and now he was stuck to her side like some type of dangerous lost puppy.

     Patting the top of Kalluto's head softly, (Y/n) waits until dinner was over. Six-thirty exactly, before getting up from her seat. She nods at her father before walking out of the dining hall, her three younger siblings following after her, just like always.

     There was such darkness in their family, but it had always been there, so (Y/n) barely noticed.

     That would be a terrible mistake.

YO I'M SO HYPED FOR THIS BOOK LMAO

anyways, I need to get some things out of the way before I continue. I gave the reader an appearance, except for skin color, of course (bc only assholes do that). Also, Silva's eyes have always been cool to me so that was probably why lol

this is slightly an au because alluka isn't going to be locked up

this was the introduction chapter, so it's only around 600 words, however, the normal chapter will be around 1000 words

/\