betrayal and betrothal

As Draco stroked lazy circles onto Catherine's back, she glared out the window.

"This would be so much easier if there was any romantic connection between us," she finally spoke.

Draco nodded, "Believe me, I've thought the same."

"So, you really love her?"

"Catherine, my head was buried between your legs, and you yelled for Cedric's name. I didn't even flinch."

"Fair enough."

"So, I've been meaning to ask, would you like me to escort you to the ball on New Year's Eve?"

"I suppose so," she giggled. "We're going to give your parents a heart attack if they think we're together."

"I know, which is why I was wondering if you would come to the Manor for dinner tomorrow night? Mum just got back from the Alps, and the Notts will be dining with us. Apparently, Mr. Nott is going to propose a union between Daphne and Theo."

"That would explain last night, but are you sure you want to lead your parents into believing we would ever be engaged?"

Draco snorted, "I am doing this merely for your benefit. I was being a git last night, so I would love to see my father's face when he thinks that he killed my betrothed's ex-boyfriend. He's going to be extremely uncomfortable."

She turned to face him and propped herself up on her elbow. A smirk formed on her lips.

"Well, in that case, I'm in. I have to go to Diagon Alley with Pansy and Mrs. Zabini, but after that, we can talk strategy."

"Alright, also, about Granger," Draco began.

Catherine stood up and started to pull on her clothes.

"She still loves you, you know? I wouldn't give up on that yet; well, only if you're willing to stop being a coward."

"Maybe one day," he sighed.

"See you later."

Catherine left his room and ran into Mrs. Zabini.

"Catherine, dear, how are you this morning?" she amusedly asked. Her eyes darted to the door behind her.

"Erm, fine, thank you, and yourself?"

"Very well, indeed. Pansy and I decided that we would leave in an hour. Opal will be meeting us there."

"Alright, I do not believe that my mother will join, though."

"I didn't even ask her to; I would not put you in harm's way, Catherine. You are a sister to both my future daughter and my son, so therefore, you are like a daughter to me."

Catherine's eyes softened at the woman's statement.

"Thank you, Mrs. Zabini."

"Of course, child, now get dressed."

"Yes, ma'am."

"Oh, and, Catherine?"

Catherine whirled around to face the smirking woman.

"I do hope that you are considering a betrothal with young Malfoy. You two would be an unstoppable pair."

"Thank you, ma'am."

She then hurriedly walked into her room. Catherine was not one to lament on her decisions because that would only cause her pain, but she was beginning to not like her arrangement with Draco. While she loved the shagging, Catherine knew deep down in her heart that it still belonged to Cedric. And to only further that, she knew that the other person it belonged to was not Draco in the slightest, but it was the one person that no one would truly approve of ever.