ten

"I'm home!" Sunghoon called out, locking the door behind him and going to meet his mom in the living room. She was reading a magazine, and he sat down next to her, kissing her cheek. "Did you miss me?" He asked cheekily.

She laughed, hugging him. "Terribly," she teased. "You're a little late today. Did you hang out with Jake again?"

"No, I was with some new friends of mine," he said proudly, standing up.

"You should invite them over for dinner sometime," she suggested.

Have Nari over for dinner? Yes please.

But he didn't say that aloud. He wasn't ready to invite her over. Just going shopping with her was enough to make his heart beat unbelievably fast, enough to make his lips be in a permanent smile.

"I'd like that," he said happily. "I'm going to go upstairs and get started on my homework, okay?"

His mom nodded. "I'll call you when dinner's ready."

He sprinted upstairs and flipped down in bed, still feeling giddy about his new friendship with Nari.

His phone binged with a text, and he pulled it out of his pocket.

And his smile widened impossibly further.

It was Nari.

HELLO FRIEND
Nari added you to a chat

NARI
Hiiiii my new friend!

SUNGHOON
Hi! Did you get home safely?

NARI
Yep. You did too?
I just wanted to say thanks for coming today.
It was really fun having you there.
You should come with us more often.
I actually can't talk right now
Cause I'm helping my mom.
But I wanted to let you know that you're welcome anytime.
☺️

SUNGHOON
Thank you for inviting me!
I'm glad you had a good time.
I did too.

***

Sunghoon grinned at the text messages, feeling butterflies erupt in his stomach.

Yeah, they only talked for like, a minute. And okay, the messages were nothing special. Kind of lame really. A little awkward.

But he had her number now, he'd managed to gather the courage to ask for it before they'd parted ways.

He had her number. She'd texted him.

And he just felt so, so happy.