Chapter 27

Stella's POV

I had been feeling a little nauseous while sitting so being in this truck for the next hours sounded like torture. We were about two hours in and I was freezing.

Stella: It's freezing in here.

Cruz: How are you cold? It's hot in here.

Kelly: Why don't you take a nap.

I felt his hand reach behind his seat and into mine. I knew that he knew that sleeping would make me feel better so I listened to him and tried to fall asleep. It was about thirty minutes later and the nausea was not getting any better.

Kelly: Is she asleep?

Stella: No.

Kelly: Why not?

Stella: Because it's hot, my shoulder hurts, and you won't stop talking.

Kelly: Let me feel your forehead?

Stella: I'm fine just keep driving.

Kelly's POV

I was worried about Stella so I texted Gabby her symptoms and waited for an answer. She told me that I should pull over and wait for her so we can check her out.

Kelly: Tony pull over here.

Tony: We good lieutenant?

Kelly: Yeah Gabby just wants to check her out.

I jumped out of the truck and then went to open Stella's door. She climbed out and I led her to the the back so she could sit down.

Stella: Why the hell would you text Gabby? I am capable of treating myself.

Kelly: Stella I'm worried about you.

Stella: Just because you worried doesn't mean that you can text Gabby.

Kelly: You are not your self. You are always cold never hot.

Stella: What because I'm hot doesn't mean I'm sick Kelly.

Kelly: Stella I was the one who did this to you. I can't have that on my mind. I know that you are mad at me and you can be, but I am not going to feel bad for protecting you.

Cruz: Lieutenant are you guys okay.

Kelly: Yeah were good Cruz.

I watched as Stella started going in a circle trying to get some air. Brett pulled up as I saw her eyes roll into the back of her head and I barely caught her before she hit her head. Gabby and Brett ran towards her and supported her neck while she siezed.

Gabby: Okay Stella stay with me girl. Stay with me.

I held her hand as they put the heart monitors on her and got a pulse. For one second I had relief flood through me and then the awful feeling hit me again. I heard the beeping and I knew what that meant. Gabby started doing chest compressions and Brett intubated her. I was yelling at her to stay with me, but it was like she was done living. Cruz must of heard me yelling at her because the next second he was pulling me back. I watched as 81, 51, and Boden pulled over and tried to hold me back. With all the people holding me I couldn't get close to her. I stopped trying and collasped into Matt's arms. I watched as they loaded Stella up and they sped away.

Matt: Kelly why don't you guys follow her to the hospital.

We got in the truck and speeded away to Chicago Med. When we got there Maggie took me up to her room and there she was laying in bed with her shoulder all bandaged up.

Kelly: What happened.

Maggie: Dr. Choi will be in shortly.

Kelly: Thanks Maggie.

Maggie: Yeah.

I sat down next to her and held her hand before Dr. Choi came in.

Dr. Choi: Hey Kelly she's doing better. We went in and fixed her rotator cuff, but she has a long road to recovery. She should be back on the job in the next month.

Kelly: She's going to go crazy.

Dr. Choi: That she will, but she is alive.

Kelly: I did this to her.

Dr. Choi: What do you mean?

Kelly: She was superwoman today. A fire had jumped faster than we thought and my rope burnt. I was falling when Stella caught me. She held me for a few minutes and then she pulled me up. She held me there for another ten and then squad got me and her down.

Dr. Choi: She did everything correct. She protected her shoulder and she protected you.

Kelly: I told her to let me go.

Dr. Choi: Good luck with that one.

Kelly: Thanks.

Dr. Choi: She should be up in the next hour.

He left and I kissed her on the forehead. She slowly started to open her eyes and I could see the tears wash over her face. I wiped them away and kissed her on the lips.

Kelly: I'm so sorry babe. I didn't mean to hurt you.

Stella: Your fine, but you might have to do a lot more dishes.

Kelly: I can do that.

Stella: Can we get out of here?

Kelly: I think Maggie is getting your paperwork ready.

Stella: Speaking of Maggie.

She walked in the room with a smile on her face and Natalie followed.

Stella: What are you doing here?

Natalie: I come bearing good news.

Maggie: Kelly why don't you come with me and you can sign her out.

Stella's POV

Stella: What's up Nat?

Natalie: I want to show you something.

She set up the ultrasound and then I saw my uterus.

Natalie: So we ran a few tests and these are your Fallopian tubes.

Stella: What about them?

Natalie: I was worried that they would be damaged because of all the heat that your body has endured.

Stella: You mean by fighting fires.

Natalie: Yes, but they look fine. What I mean is that they are able of letting an egg travel through without damaging it.

Stella: So what's wrong?

Natalie: I think you have what is called Unexlained Infertility. It just means that we cannot explain what is causing you to have so many miscarrages.

Stella: So what's next?

Natalie: We have a few options including fertility treatments. You can take a number of medicines of we can do IUI.

Stella: I need to heal and talk to Kelly before we try for another baby.

Natalie: We can make an appointment to talk about your options when you are ready.

Stella: Thanks Nat.

I left the hospital feeling good about that last conversation and enjoyed the night with my husband.