Chapter 2- Raising an Ice Princess

"I'm so sorry Mommy."

Anna stood in front of four year old Aila, shaking her head. Aila had another nightmare, and now her room looked like a cave in the North Pole, not to mention the extra ice spreading from Aila's feet as she stood in front of her parents. There was also a cloud of snow floating over her bed, and her nightgown and light brown hair were sprinkled with snow.

"It's all right, Aila." Anna told her, but it was far from all right. Anna had discussed Aila's powers with Elsa after her birth, and they decided that if Aila's lack of control over her powers got too bad, she would have to be sent to the Enchanted Forest to live and train with Elsa, the only other person who could understand Aila's abilities. Anna could see that time getting closer and closer, but this was the eighth outburst this week, and Anna knew the time had come, as much as she didn't want it to. She hated to send her daughter away, but it had to be done. Aila could become a danger to herself, much as Elsa had as a child. Anna looked to Kristoff, and he nodded. He understood what she was about to do. He had been preparing himself for this. Anna took a deep breath. 

"Aila, honey, there's something I need to tell you." she said. She sat down on her daughter's bed, if it could still be considered a bed anymore with the layers of ice and snow covering it. Aila sat down as well, her hair hanging untidily down her back. 

"You know how Auntie Elsa can make ice and snow like you?" Aila nodded. "Well, when Elsa was a little girl like you, she had trouble controlling her magic like you do now. She learned to control her powers, and we think she can help you learn to control yours too." Aila seemed excited. 

"So is Auntie Elsa going to come to the castle to teach me?" Aila asked. Anna shook her head. "No, Aila. You're going to live with Elsa in the Enchanted Forest." There was a moment of silence. Aila's lip quivered.

"But, you and Daddy coming to live there with us, right?" she asked. Anna wanted to cry.

"I'm so sorry, darling, but we can't." Aila burst into tears. Anna picked her up and took her in her lap. 

"It's ok, Aila. It's going to be ok." Anna whispered to Aila. Kristoff came and sat next to them. This was going to be hard for all of them, but somehow, they would have to pull through.