1 | In Which an Evil Ghost Goddess Makes a Plan

Melinoe stood at the edge of the Pit, staring into the horrid darkness of Tartarus. Wind rushed out of the top around the edge, causing the goddess's dark, stringy hair to whip around her face. She smoothed her dress, then leaped into Tartarus, a completely straight face and not the least bit horrified.

She used her godly powers to make the process of falling to the bottom faster, coming to a halting stop right before she hit the ground, floating a couple feet off the rocky ground. The Phlegethon was right next to her and moving rapidly, causing a glowing orange from the river of fire to cast over her.

"Now where can I find the arai..." Melinoe pondered out loud.

"The arai?" An amused voice said behind her. "Why, we're right here! How may we help?"

Melinoe stiffened, and she whipped around to face the female spirits of curses. "Hello, ladies. I am Melinoe, goddess of-"

"Goddess of ghosts, dweller of the underworld, blah blah blah. Yeah, we know," One of the arai said, "But what do you need? You obviously need something from us, no one in their right mind would come down to Tartarus just to say hello."

"Unless you're not in your right mind," An arai piped up, "Are you?"

"I am," Melinoe rolled her eyes. "And yes, I do need your help. I need information."

The arai smirked at that. "Now that we can provide. But it comes with a price," They said mischievously.

Melinoe became angry at that, fury swelling through her. Black flames erupted around her, white, glowing wisps flying around her, her hair and dress floating in the air in a very majestic, yet somehow horrifying way.

"Perhaps I haven't made myself clear. I am a goddess, I am a daughter of Hades, I will be of higher status and more powerful than any of you ever will be. I will not barter for the information I need, I will take it by force if needed. It is your choice, ladies. Give me my information willingly, or suffer," Melinoe thundered, black flames appearing in the black, empty sockets she had for eyes.

The arai cowered down, but did their best to hide their fear, smirking. "Very well, Melinoe. And what is the information you request?" One of the arai asked.

Melinoe smiled, satisfied, the flames dying down as she floated down a bit closer to the ground. "As you most likely know, All Hallow's Eve is coming up in a week, and I haven't had fun in the longest time," Melinoe said, studying her fingernails.

"Yes, but Hades doesn't allow you to leave the underworld!" One of the arai pointed out.

Melinoe rolled her eyes. "Yes, I am aware. I have it all worked out. But anyways, do you know Perseus Jackson and his little demigod friends?" Melinoe asked, gritting her teeth at just the son of Poseidon's name.

The arais' faces darkened, and their amused smirks were replaced with stone cold expressions. "Yes," An arai spoke up, "We unfortunately do know that dastardly boy. Why?"

"Well, I want to have a little revenge, that's why! And you guys are experts on that. I'm not revealing my fool plan, but I need to know all the dead demigods that may loathe, hate, or want revenge on Perseus," Melinoe said.

"Hmm..." One of the arai said, "We wish we could help with that, but we don't really know. Our power's don't really go to that extent. If you want someone to help you with that, go to Nemesis."

"Nemesis? Isn't she with the Olympians though, the 'good guys.' Why on earth would she help me get revenge on the 'good guys?'" Melinoe spat.

"Yes, she may be with them, but that doesn't mean she wants to be," An arai chuckled, "Plus, she draws her power from revenge, that's what she's the patron god of. Offering her power, well, that's definitely a seller for good ol' Nemesis. If anyone knows who wants revenge on Perseus, it will be her."