13 | In Which They Finally Leave

Percy walked over to Hazel, shaking her lightly so he could wake her up. She let out a tiny groan and opened her eyes. "Percy? What am I doing in your cabin?" She asked sleepily.

Percy frowned. "Just tell me what you remember," He said.

"Well... it's all a little fuzzy. But I had a horrible dream that Leo, Jason, and a couple others were possessed. And then Frank got possessed, saving me. It was weird... but horrifying," Hazel said.

Percy's eyes crinkled in remorse. "Hazel," He sighed, "That... that wasn't a dream. Everyone is getting possessed. Frank... he's - he's dead."

Her eyes widened, but she was silent. She didn't know how to feel, how to react. Scared? Sad? Surprised? Maybe a little bit of all those. Her silence just made Percy even more worried for her. He reached for her so he could hug her comfortingly, but she pulled away.

Percy frowned. "Haz-"

"I'm fine," She said quietly, her voice hoarse. Percy examined the girl and could tell she definitely was not, but quite the opposite. Her eyes were watery, her expression was sunken, and she looked altogether broken. He couldn't blame her.

Percy sighed. "I-I don't know if you remember this or not, but it's contagious. And they're coming for us. We're going to go, um, get rid of the original possessed and maybe that will solve the problem? Would you like to... come with?" Percy asked, choosing his words carefully.

"When you say 'get rid,' you mean, 'kill,' don't you?" Hazel said quietly, but coldly, her words sending a chill down Percy's spine.

"I guess there's no point in lying so... yes. Kill. But, I mean, they're already dead, right?" Percy knew there was much more depth to what he just said, but he was just trying to comfort Hazel on what they were doing. He's not exactly the best at that.

Hazel looked up at Percy, a look of anger that she was clearly trying and failing at hiding on her face. "Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll stay behind," She said lowly, then stuffed her face into a pillow on Percy's bed, shaking softly.

Percy reached for her hesitantly, but quickly pulled back, not knowing what to do. "Are you sure you'll be fine alone?" Percy asked.

"I'm fine. Just... leave," Hazel said, her voice muffled by the pillow.

"Um, okay. Make sure everything is locked when we leave, okay?" Percy said. Hazel didn't answer, but he figured she knew.

Percy turned to Thalia and Annabeth who both had concerned looks on their faces. Percy walked over to Annabeth, interlocking his hand in hers. "So we're leaving her behind?" Annabeth whispered.

"She's not in the right mindset right now. Look at her. Plus, she'll be safe in here," Thalia whispered.

"I feel horrible," Percy groaned, though he made sure to keep his voice quiet like Thalia and Annabeth.

"That's what your fatal flaw being loyalty does to you," Annabeth said, then added, "But I feel horrible too. I just can't believe Frank and all those other demigods are actually gone. It's crazy! Absolutely insane!"

"It is," Thalia agreed, "Which is why we need to save the day. Let's go."

"You're in a rush," Percy pointed out.

"I just want to move out before anyone else gets infected," Thalia said.

"Okay," Percy said, "Let's go then."