Chapter One

(Photo above is how I imagine her to look like, you can imagine her to look however you want though.)

Chapter One-

  I stare out the window as the plane speeds up to take off into the air, the plane is cramped and I have my feet on my seat and pulled up to my chest with my head resting on my knees and earbuds in my ears playing 'Harry Potter' on an audio book. The plane finally takes off into the air and the world seems to get smaller and smaller till it's just blue and clouds in my view so I slide the plastic thing down and close my eyes ready to sleep through this nine hour flight.
  About three hours in turbulence wakes me up which is slightly annoying considering I only got about two hours of sleep last night before having to wake up for the flight. The people sitting next to me are passed out which means there is no way I'll be able to get to the bathroom. I look around and almost everyone on the plane is asleep except a few toddlers and their parents and the flight attendants of course. I rest my head on my knees again and close my eyes hoping to fall asleep again.

+

  I walk through the airport looking for where the exit doors are to get to the non security part of the airport where my mom and her new family will be waiting for me. Great, love to be reunited with the mother who wouldn't have talked to me if my dad didn't die, when I finally find them they are all standing in a group with a sign that has my name on it when they notice me my mom smiles and meets me halfway wrapping me in a hug.
  "Oh. We're on a hugging basis already." I speak quietly, she sighs and pulls away observing my face, I notice we have the same hair color and nose. Weird.
  "This would be a lot easier if we just skipped the neglecting me and pushing away from me stage. I told you I'm sorry probably more than 1000 times over phone calls and text messages." She pauses and gasps. "Wow that came out horribly, we'll get through this just try to be nice to your siblings. It's not their fault I screwed up." She says giving me a pleading look to be nice to them. I roll my eyes and nod. She smiles pleased and turns around to walk back toward her circus with me slowly following. Twin toddlers, one infant, and couple teens one around my age and one a few years younger.
  Once we both get over to them she's already introducing me to everyone with a huge smile. "And finally this is Bill, your step dad Briar." He smiles and holds his hand out to me. I just ignore it and look away, it feels wrong to shake someone's hand who's gonna take the role of my dad, replace him. "Don't be rude Briar." She whispers in my ear, I look down she sighs before speaking again, "Let's get home." Everyone nods in agreement and starts walking me trailing behind, hello Alabama, mom, step dad, half siblings, step sibling. Goodbye Phoenix, dad, friends, and comfort.

+

  Just watching them looks like something that would be in a family magazine. They're all smiling and laughing, talking about everything, mom's in her first trimester with another boy and showing. Everyone piles into the van with me and the two other teen boys in the very back three seats, Bill makes a joke about needing a bigger car and everyone laughs. I just smile a little.
  My phone buzzes and I dig in my pocket for it. Two new messages in the 'Best Singers' group chat.

  Katie: 'Calllll meeeee'
  James: 'Let us know how the abandoner is in real life.' I laugh quietly at James' message causing everyone to look back or over at me, I clear my throat and text back.
  'They look like they could model in a family magazine.'
  James: 'Run bitch.'
  Katie: 'Don't listen to him, try to get along with them. At least get to know your siblings if not your mom and step dad.'
  'You sound just like her.'
  Katie: 'Try'
  James: 'R.U.N. For the hills.'
  'I'll facetime you both on skype later.'
  I put my phone between my thighs and look out the small window in the back, "I'm the step brother, but our mom adopted me a few years ago." One of the boys says beside me.
  "Your mom." I whisper, "She's your mom not mine. I have a book to finish listening to." I put my earbuds in and press play on my book looking back out the window. A tear slides down my cheek before anyone notices I wipe it away and close my eyes, you have two years Briar then you can get as far away from them as you want you never have to see them again.

+

  We pull up to their house and they yell 'Home sweet home!' and the tscream it along with them very excited to be home, they get out of the van and help the twins out of their car seats then we can get out.
  "Boys, help Briar get her things to her room then come downstairs to set the table and help me and dad with dinner." Mom says handing each of them and me a bag before we all make our way inside the large house. The inside is just as fancy as the outside, the floor a grey wood and when you look around the whole thing is themed off of grey, black, white, and gold. Basic but cute. The walls and surfaces are covered in pictures, of family portraits, even pictures of Dillion the step/adopted son and his girlfriend.
  "Gonna have to update these family portraits." Mom says rubbing my arm before walking into the kitchen, the guys lead me upstairs and the bedroom at the end of the hall is mine. They drop my bags on the floor and show me around a little before heading back downstairs to help with dinner.
  'Home sweet home.'