Ch 2

April 08th, 2008

There's this dude that lives in the forest, calls himself the "wind god," but really I think he's like some sort of disillusioned hobo. He doesn't have that divine appearance, none of the bells and whistles I picture when I think about a master of one of the fundamental elements. Actually he seems more like a nature geek. Like what sort of guy says he's a god and then lets fifty doves shit on him? That's another thing, he's always doing absolutely menial shit, like, grandfatherly workshop type of stuff, cast iron and woodworking and all that antiquated garbage from the century of blahblah boring A.F. And he's wearing fucking, what, pajamas? But fuck if he doesn't have the sweetest smile. I'm gonna go back tomorrow and hit him up for some bird facts. See if he'll let me take some close-up bird shots.

You're largely in agreement with Danny's observations of Blue. Nothing had really stood out about him that made you think he was grandiose in any way. He'd given off every appearance of a guy who was an avid bird and nature fan, and apparently he was wearing the same "pajamas" as recorded in this journal entry. Given that the written date is four years ago, right about when Danny began disappearing more often, this must be around when they'd first met. Clearly, gods weren't that conscientious about keeping their wardrobes up to date in the latest fashion. Not that you have a job as a fashionista. You've been wearing the same clothes since you hit puberty--but that's neither here nor there.

When you flip to the next entry, you note it's accented with cutouts of developed photos--doves, sparrows, blue jays, chickadees, ravens, to list a few. Each picture is labeled and dated in carefully printed text, the red sharpie ink faintly smeared onto the adjacent page.

April 09, 2008

His name is John, and he's actually pretty cool. I think he likes showing off? He's got these victorian bird cages in his little house (which, by the way, is insanely small but it smells like one of those pine candles, only better, because it's made of actual wood) and it's like a rustic little bird hotel. He's got a million birds in there and they all have names, and they actually respond to them. It's crazy. Anyways he let me take a million pictures and some of them turned out hella good. I'm keeping a few in here just because.

I wonder if he can fly. If he's really a wind god and shit. Maybe I'll ask him to do some windy shenanigans and show me some more birds. I really want to get a few more shots of those ravens, they're even cooler up close.

John, huh. That's a disappointingly normal, human name. "John, the Wind God." Even European mythological beings had more interesting names. But at least it's easy to remember.

You wonder for a moment how long Blue--John--has actually been there, puttering around in his shack with the birds and cages. He doesn't seem very old, but then again you don't know how age and time works for a god. There are so many versions of immortality in fiction and popular media, it's not like you have any recurring theme to infer how it all works. You could just ask, if you were interested enough, but right now you just aren't. You more want to know what about this guy had Danny's ass on fire to always be around him, what made him and The Overlook such an irresistible hotspot, why John was the one with that unobstructed view of Danny's face and Danny's heart. It probably had nothing to do with the fact that he had pet birds.

April 11, 2008

John can fly.

We found a bigass bird yesterday. John said they're called red tailed hawks. It was beat to shit and I didn't know that hawks could even get treated like shit, they're so fucking big and fast and stuff. It's goddamned huge, like its wings were wider than I am tall. But John said it was all banged up because the bird mafia came for their dues and Big Red didn't want to pay up. The bird mafia by the way is like a gigantic swarm of crows. They're called a murder when they gang up like that, and it's pretty spot on because I didn't think the bird looked alive when we found him.