02. A Fool's Dream

TWO A FOOL'S DREAM

TWO A FOOL'S DREAM

     Everything seemed so much drearier this year. Their train had been stopped halfway through the ride to Hogwarts. Xander had held onto Diana tightly as death eaters swarmed the train, searching for Harry Potter and his friends. His heart had been frozen in fear as he dug his nails into the wrist of his best friend as if his iron grip would stop them from taking her if they wanted to. He was just lucky that muggle-borns hadn't been who they were looking for. The welcome feast had been littered with whispers and muted conversations instead of the usual gleeful reunion it usually was. Xander, Diana, and Justin had sat closely together, keeping mainly to each other and trying not to speak too loudly. It got even quieter as the prefects led everyone to their common rooms. As Xander walked through the portrait hole into the common room, he felt like he could finally relax. It seemed even Snape's reign could not touch the glistening moonlight that highlighted the warm yellows of the Hufflepuff common room or the flickering flame that smelled like home. Xander breathed a sigh of relief as he went up to the dormitories to shrug off his robes.

"Do you think Diana is going to be okay?" Justin's voice interrupted his train of thought as the boy turned around after pulling on his sweatshirt, seeing his roommate behind him. "All the muggle-born talk... I'm worried."

Xander sighed, "I think Diana is tough as nails, if she is worried she'll do anything to make sure we don't know she's worried. I think she forgets I know her better than anyone. We just... need to keep a close eye on her. You, as well. I know you care about her, but don't forget your own safety, too."

Justin scoffed, "It's ridiculous this is even something we have to think about. Muggle-borns disappearing. Granger didn't even show up this year, people are starting to wonder if she was taken as well."

"If Ron and Harry were here, I'd say that was the case," the dark-haired boy shrugged, leaning against his bedpost with crossed arms while Justin stood in the doorway. Despite being roommates for seven years now, they actually had very few conversations. Even fewer were such serious topics as this. "But no, that feels different. All three of them haven't been heard from since the Weasley wedding. It's strange, once upon a time, this place felt like home. I didn't even like Dumbledore all that much, but I didn't count on it feeling this... different."

"It feels colder," he muttered, "Like the magic has gone somewhere else."

Xander nodded as he moved to pass through the doorway. Justin moved over to let him through and before heading down the stairs, he turned and said, "I know I'm not much, but I'll keep her safe as best I can."

"Thank you," the other boy whispered as he headed further into the dormitory. With a deep sigh, Xander went down the stairs where Diana was cuddled up in the corner of the love seat in front of the fire, a book in her hands. Her fingers danced around the corner of the paper as if she was ready to turn the page. She looked so deep in the story, Xander decided not to interrupt her. Instead, he sat down on the other corner and looked into the fire.