Chapter 1: The Castaway Child

The Warring State era. A time where all of Japan is in near-constant civil war, social upheaval, and intrigue. Every warlord was charging through the lands as they seek total control over the country. Amongst them all, there was one man that desired...no, demanded all the power he needed to be the ruler of an entire land. He was so obsessed with gaining power that he was willing to do absolutely anything for the sake of it. And one day... he decided to make the ultimate deal.

It was raining heavily that day. The clouds covered the skies as thunder and lightning danced above the lands. It was all serene and quiet throughout, however, in a large estate, the pained groans of a woman could be heard as she struggles to give birth to her child. Her attendants and the midwives were right beside her, tending to her while her husband sat far across from the birthing room. He was a tall man with black hair and had an X-shaped scar on his forehead. While most soon-to-be-fathers would be happy, or at the very least anxious for the birth of their first child, the man was neither. He sat in silence with a rather grim expression. As if he knows something bad was about to happen.

"My lady, please. Endure it just a while longer. You can do it, be strong. Your child will be here any minute now." The soft, kindly voice of an old woman reassures the beautiful woman as she tries to bring life to her child. She gripped the hands of the two midwives as the pain spread throughout her body. The soon-to-be-mother was tall and beautiful with long black hair, brown eyes and thin eyebrows. She turned her head to the side and her gentle eyes gazed upon a small statue standing nearby. The statue of the Goddess of Mercy. The woman gave out a silent prayer. That her child, whatever it was a boy or a girl, that they would be born healthy and strong. Praying that she would be blessed to give that child the unconditional love they needed.

Outside the birthing room, her husband turned his head towards the room as her soft cries began to echo out. A small twinge of emotion appeared on his face. But it didn't last for very long as he turned away. An ominous feeling continues to stir inside him. As he waits for his wife to give birth, the man recalls a time where he made a terrible deal. One that had promised prosperity of his land. He called travelling down a path on a day just like this. Where he rode past death and decay. It didn't faze him at all. He had seen this day in and day out. There was no life. No food. Hardly any water. His lands were dying. But he knew there was one thing he could do to maintain his position of power and restore his land to its past fruition.

The man rode his horse to an old path, passing the dead fields and corpses until he reached a long flight of stairs. Leading to an old shrine that was nearly hidden by the trees. Time had certainly taken its toll on the shrine, for lack of maintenance, fell into disrepair and nature was slowly taking it for itself. The man had no problem making his way towards the shrine as the other people around were dead. Still, the man knew he was in a dangerous area who he kept his sword ready at his hip.

Eventually, the man had arrived at his destination. On the far side of the decrepit shrine, stood a small temple that was kept hidden away from the outside world. However, a few people had known all too well about it, and the man was one of them. He had no hesitation when he entered the Hall of Hell. As he stepped into the temple, he took a moment to look around the many ghastly wooden sculptures that decorated the inside. The whole temple was lit up by two candles with an old monk sitting in the centre of the room. The monk didn't turn around, but he knew who had come to visit this temple.

"Sir Daigo. One who willingly steps into this Hall of Hell has made a choice; To cast off Buddha and the Gods in favour of the demons." The monk says. Lord Daigo said nothing. He just turned away from the monk. But it had served to be a good answer for the old man. "I see. It is futile to try and stop you. But hear me one last time." The monk turned his body around to face Lord Daigo. At his age, one would be able to predict certain things, so for as much time as he left, he must give out a word of warning for the man. "Sir Daigo. To cast of Buddha, is to tread the path of evil. It is to no longer be human. If you cross this line, only Hell shall await you on the other side."