In Morte, Aerternitatis (Ch. 4): What's In A Name?

"Now remember, moya lyubov', never ever and I mean NEVER say that name five times."

"But Mama, all the other kids said I'd be the coolest kid in school!"

"Net, if I ever hear talk of this nonsense again I'll homeschool you myself."

A 10 year old Vadim sat dejectedly at the table with his mother, her expression stern yet concerned.

"Mama? Rodnoy brat?" A seven year old Anastasia rubbed her eyes in confusion at being woken up by her brother's complaining. Vadim never knew how to master his inside voice.

"Anya, moy rebenok" Elena cooed at her youngest, "What are you doing up, moye ditya?" She scooped her daughter into her lap.

"I heard Vadim talking about The Candyma-" Elena put a firm hand over her daughter's mouth.

"Anastasia Ilyena Fyodorov, if I ever hear you say that name again you will spend a week in your room" Anya's eyes widened, "That goes for you as well, Vadim. Have I taught the both of you nothing?" Vadim stood up.

"But Mama, why can't we say it?" Her hand dropped from Anya's mouth as she placed her next to Vadim, squatting down to place her hands on their shoulders.

"There is power in a name, moi deti. To say it out loud is to acknowledge. Once you do this there is no going back, you forfeit any and all say in what happens. Words are powerful and a name is a word. Remember this and promise me you will not say that one, no matter who tells you to do it." Elena smiled as her children nodded in understanding.

Anya had been too young to fully understand what her mother had meant. At that age, her brain understood that Candyman was a bad word that would result in punishment if she said it. Bad words were a no-no in her house growing up and Elena Fyodorov always made good on her punishments if need be.

Now though, standing in front of her best friend of six years in a hospital bathroom, she finally understood what her mother had meant.

Annie had performed the silent dare so to speak, she had stared a mirror down and uttered a forbidden name five times for all to see. Normally she'd find the whole idea insane, wouldn't believe it if she didn't see it.

The problem was she had.

She'd seen the hook in Paul's back, watched the tall stranger stalk towards; smelled the distinct scent of honey and blood emanating from his very pores. Most importantly though, she'd felt his touch as clear as day. The metal of his hook was terrifying enough, but the skin of his other? That was bone and muscle and blood all wrapped in flesh that put the night sky to shame.

He was real. He was real because Annie had made him so.

"Oh god, Annie..." She rubbed a hand down her face. Paul had paid the price, but only barely as a result of Annie's need to reassure her kids.

"I know! God Anya, I know! I've been tearing my hair out over it all night" She turned the faucet on and splashed her face with cold water, "He could've killed you, hell he almost killed Paul! If you hadn't come along..." A shudder ran through her spine as she watched Annie dry her face.

"He could've killed you too, Ann. I'm honestly surprised he didn't try if you're the one that called him." That had been a big thought in her head. The way the legend went, whoever spoke the name five times in a mirror would be split from groin to gullet; yet he'd seemingly spared Annie.

"He spoke to me in my bathroom when he first appeared" Now that caught her attention, "He said that I had a journey to make with him and then when you passed out-" She looked at Anya and shook her head, "He caught you and just stared at you for what felt like hours before putting you down. When he did he told me that I- we were his." She felt her throat close.