06

Dallas

I PUSH BACK THE CURTAIN OF Grady's living room window for the hundredth time and check my watch. It's so unlike Santos to be late. If he's not here soon, I'll be late for my hip-hop class. I hate the thought of my girls standing around waiting for me at the community center. I'm just about to call Santos one more time, when my cell rings. It's him.

"Where are you?" I can't even bother with a decent greeting.

"I'm sorry, pipsqueak." Santos sounds irritated and apologetic at the same time. "Some guy rear-ended me."

My heart completely shifts gears, concern swallowing any impatience.

"Are you okay? Where are you?"

"I'm fine. Still about thirty minutes away, and the cops want me to stay on the scene. I don't want you to be late."

Grady and Jordan enter the room, laughing and talking. I turn my back, blocking them out of my conversation as much as I can.

"I'll be fine, San. Just focus on that, and I'll figure it out."

I'm already calculating how late I'll be if I have to wait for the next bus, and how every stop will further delay me getting to class on time.

"I'm so sorry. I can't believe this happ—Hold on." His voice grows fainter like he's turned his head. "Hey, it's the cop."

"Go. I'll figure it out. I'm just glad you're okay. Text me once everything settles down."

Grady walks over to me, concern on his face.

"Everything okay with Santos?"

I focus on Grady, keeping my eyes off Jordan, who stands back, observing our conversation, arms crossed over his chest. I will not notice the subtle bulge of his biceps pulling at the sleeves of his T-shirt. I will not remember the heat of his hand on my stomach or his finger caressing my belly ring. Or the way his, "May I touch you here?" pierced my peace of mind back in the music room.

"San was in a car accident, but he's fine. He just has to stay at the scene."

"He was taking you to class?"

"Yeah, but it's okay. I'll catch the bus to the community center."

"You'll be late." Grady pulls the keys from his pocket. "I can take you."

"No way." I shift the bag on my shoulder and start inching toward the door. "Emmy's coming. I want you two to have a great time. I'll just take the bus."

"I could take you." Jordan breaks his watchful silence for the first time.

My traitor heart stutters at the thought of spending more time alone with him. Grady looks even less pleased about that suggestion than I should be.

"No, I can do it." Grady pulls out his phone. "Emmy will understand. I'll just call her and let her know we'll be a little later than I thought."

"That makes no sense. You have plans, and I'm free all afternoon." Jordan walks to the door, propping it open with his broad back. "Come on, Dallas."

I look from Grady to Jordan, unsure of what to do. If I take Jordan up on his offer, I'll make my class on time. Problem solved. But if I go with him, I might find myself knee-deep in one tall, dark, fascinating problem that I can't solve.

Jordan raises both brows and cocks his head toward the driveway.

"If you don't wanna be late, we'd better go."