Chapter one

"Waiting for relief patiently [during times of hardship] is a form of worship, for verily the trials never last forever."

Imām Ibn Rajab رحمه الله

-------------------------------

She sat on the edge of the bed as hot tears rolled down her eyes one after the other, sobbing slightly not to wake her hungry kids.

She grasped Rahma close to her chest as more tears slide down her chin touching  Rahma's messed unkempt afro hair.

"Everything is going to be alright one day.... In sha Allah"

She whispered to herself with a heavy heart, as she wipes away her tears.

She gently laid Rahmah on the messy bunk bed,  picked Isma'eel's head that laid on her lap, laying him on the bed. And pulled the tart wrapper that was hanged on the bed, the one she uses as blanket to cover them.

She stands up from the bed and it  made a creaky sound,  she quickly wrapped her arms around them not to wake them up, humming a distant Yoruba lullaby.

She had only lured them to sleep because she had to lied to them that her sister - khairat would bring food for them.

She let out a heavy sigh at the thought.

It's been almost three days since they'd cooked food in their house.   Khairat would go to her aunt's house to bring some leftovers for them to eat, if not they starve. 

"Halima my dear, Omo mi" (my daughter) her mother who was just coming in the room called out in a raspy voice. She pulled a wooden chair near the bed and sat down.

"Mama-mi" (mommy) Halima answered,  She sat down on the bare cemented floor laying her head on her mother's lap.

"Maami...."she paused a little with a shuddered breath," It pains" her voice was coated with pain, as she continued

"all the rejections from my in-laws, neighbors and now everyone" she said. "I'm also a human being mama... No.. we are also humans like them... But they call us witches and all sort of abusive names'' She paused, gulping hardly as her body shook with emotions.

"Witches'' she whispered as her voice crack and tears falling harshly , "just because of our eye color..... I don't mind myself for now I'm old enough to handle myself, but my children mama"

she sniffed a little, "I'm tired of seeing them brought up like this,  maltreated by all and hungry" she said. "They don't  deserve a life like this mama! We don't deserve this....." She trailed off, tears falling from her eyes.

She broke into a heart wrecking cry.

Her mother caressed her head with her hand, her heart filled with hurt, eyes filled with tears. But she wiped them away so that she could be brave for her daughter. She is the only pillar she had left to her and her grandkids. She wiped her tears and consoled her child.

"Omo mi, My dear. Everything which has happened to you is for a reason and behind every reason there is a lesson. A lesson that makes you more stronger and wiser." She exhaled and continued. 

"Allah is well aware of the situation you are in and never thinks He abandoned you" her mother admonished.

"Allah says in Suratul tagahbun verse 4
" يَعْلَمُ مَا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَيَعْلَمُ مَا تُسِرُّونَ وَمَا تُعْلِنُونَ وَاللَّهُ عَلِيمٌ بِذَاتِ الصُّدُورِ"