XVII

Amie ran back into the house only to grab her keys, ignoring the questions that soon followed her when she turned on the back of her heal and headed towards her car. All fell upon deaf ears as her only goal was to get in and drive as fast as her car allowed. The anticipation buzzed in her blood and at that moment she couldn't care less for anything else but finally seeing him again.

She didn't have to go far. He waited for her only one block away from Toretto's turf, leaning against his bike. Shoulders clad in a leather jacket and arms crossed over his chest, which was covered in a black shirt, Johnny Tran filled the space with dangerous air spiced with hot and sexy. Amie swallowed but her throat was dry. Pausing momentarily, she attempted to recollect her bravery and resolve before she stepped out.

The door closed with a small noise and then both allowed the silence to throw its cloak over them, only the faint sound of cars driving past in distance interrupted them. Johnny slowly leaned away from the bike, his back ramrod straight as his eyes inspect her. "Took your time."

Amie shifted her weight from one leg to another, enveloping herself with her arms in an attempt to stay warm. The breeze already managed to turn the back of her arms and legs ice cold. "I...--" she paused, looking away to muffle the apology that almost escaped her. "What do you want?"

Johnny made his way towards her in torturingly slow tempo. He was like a predator tracking his prey. "I thought you will call me," Johnny's voice was dark and cold. "Or at least call me back... but no. Toretto just wouldn't do that, would she?" Tran said as he stopped within arms reach, searching her face for any emotions she might allow to crack through the stone mask.

Unable to return his gaze, Amie looked away briefly, shifting on the spot again. His presence made her shiver and worry. "I didn't think you wanted to talk to me if I am honest," Amie admitted softly, her words barely audible.

"Why else would I call?" his voice was filled with slight mockery but disbelief also. When the woman opposite to him said nothing and continued avoiding his gaze, he said: "Don't you know how to return a call?"

"We had a family BBQ," she muttered as an explanation. "I haven't had a chance..."

"How sad," he released something between a sigh and a chuckle, however, Amie saw through his façade and recognised the disappointment he attempted to hide.

"Johnny...--"

"I am aware of the reputation which follows me everywhere," the tall man interrupted her. "And I never ignored the bad blood between our families."

"Neither have I."

"I know," Johnny's hand twitched, drawing her attention to it and then she looked up at his face. He wore a slight frown and his lips were snapped into a thin line. "I am surprised you aren't afraid of me."

"Do you want me to be?" Amie asked him barely above a whisper. She has always been weary around the man before her, but as the time went all of her worries melted away when she started getting to know him.

"No," Johnny shook his head and this time his arm reached for her. The warmth of his palm exploded over the back of her arm. He frowned. "You are freezing."

"I am fine," but by that time he took his jacket off and threw it over her shoulders. Amie softly exhaled as her eyes drifted close; his warmth enveloped her just like the smell of his aftershave and, well, him. Forcing herself out of the comfort, Amie quickly snapped her eyes open to gaze at the man who towered over her. "You shot at my brother," she accused him.

"And he fucked my sister and then chucked her away."

Amie's lips twitched into a grimace. "Well, you fucked me."