(24) It's Just a Theory

Gina
"What is taking them so long?" I whisper. We were all standing on the side of Ricky's house waiting for a text from them saying we can come in.

"I don't know. You'd think it wouldn't take long to say 'We think Ricky's 'girlfriend' killed him'," Carlos says, flailing his arms.

"For the last time, he's not dead. Just in a coma," Ashlyn says, shaking Carlos's shoulders.

"Until he wakes up, he's dead." He's so over the top.

"Hey, look," Big Red said while pointing. Jessica was leaving the house.

"What was she doing here?" I ask through gritted teeth.

"I hope nothing bad happened inside," EJ said. We were now all behind bushes watching her as she left.

"Let's hope his dad didn't tell her he's in the hospital," Seb said.

"That would be a catastrophe," I said, throwing my head back. Can this get any worse?

Nini
"We wanted to talk to you about Ricky," Kourtney says once Jessica has left.

"Ok, I know you guys are worried about him. He's lucky to have such caring friends," Mr. Bowen says, sitting back at the table.

"Well, we know someone had to have drugged him. But we think we know who," I said slowly. I wasn't sure if he was gonna take us seriously or not.

"Who?" he asked.

"Jessica," I said in an almost whisper.

"Oh," he said leaning back in his chair a little. "Why her?"

"The other day we were all at the park, and she stopped by asking where Ricky was. We didn't tell her the truth; I don't know why. We just didn't want her knowing for some reason. She told us she and Ricky had an argument, and she got him a coffee as an apology. So we think she did something to it then gave it to him," I explained. I was waiting for a response like 'You guys are crazy' or 'That's a little much', but he just sat there looking at us.

"You all think this?" he questioned.

"Yeah, the others are outside right now," Kourtney said.

"Tell them to come in." I was shocked he hasn't questioned us yet or called us crazy. I texted them saying it was ok to come in. The door opened and one by one they started surrounding the table.

"What'd he say?" Gina whispered coming towards me.

"Nothing yet," I whisper back.

"Do you all agree on this?" he repeated. We all nodded our heads.

"We need to tell the doctor," he said, getting his phone. I stopped him.

"But it's just a theory. Without proof, we can't do anything. Also, you don't think we're crazy?" I asked.

"One, I've never been Jessica's biggest fan." That got wide eyes all around. "Two, I don't know how to get her to confess without some help. Three, I just told her he was in Chicago with his mom. I didn't even say he was in the hospital." Gasps from everyone.

"Really?" I ask.

"Yeah, everything she and Ricky do together seems so forced. It isn't natural." I was lost. He didn't like her? That's news.

"But we can't have the police knocking on her door because a bunch of kids think she drugged someone," Ashlyn states.

"Plus, she'll never admit to it knowing he's in a coma," Gina added.

"Unless you guys have a better idea, I'm calling the doctor," Mr. Bowen states, looking at each of us.

"I suggested the girls hold a sleepover before. They could record her asking questions," Big Red says.

"But I immediately turned it down because she yelled at me in the bathroom," I interjected.

You could see a light bulb go off in Mr. Bowen's head. "That's what they were referring to."

"Huh?" I questioned.

Mike
*Flashback*
"Yeah, bye. I'll talk to you later." Ricky was finally off the phone with Jessica. I don't know what it was about, but it didn't look like he was paying attention. He didn't even speak during it.

"Hey Ricky, what was that about?" I asked, approaching him.

"Jessica said Nini threatened her to stay away from me. She didn't finish the story when I was driving her home, so that's why she called."

"You don't believe her, do you?"

"No, Nini isn't like that. She wouldn't hurt anyone... even if they deserve it." He said that last part quietly, but I pretended not to hear it.

"Have you asked Nini her side of the story?"

"Not yet. I haven't talked with her one on one in a while. We both know how that went last time."

"I'm sure this next one will be fine. What do you have to worry about?"
*End of Flashback*

Nini
You have got to be kidding me?! She went and cried to Ricky about how I was a threat!?!

"I do agree with you that we shouldn't tell Jessica though," Mike said. Everyone let out a sigh of relief.

"How do we get her to confess?" Ashlyn asked.

"I don't know yet. Maybe we should all sleep on it for now?" Seb suggested.

"Yeah, that might be good," I said. We're all walking to the door when Mr. Bowen pulls me aside.

"Just so you know, Ricky was a lot, I mean a lot happier with you." I just smiled, hugged him, and said bye.

🍪🍪🍪

I still need ideas for my future one-shot book. I don't when it's coming out, but some time after I get enough stories.