Top Percentage Rattata

"Mommy!" The little boy shouted joyously, his short brown hair tossing about in the gentle wind of the day while he ran across the parking lot. The father of the child paced behind, giving a small wave towards his wife.

A woman, in her mid 20s, gently turned in the direction of the boy. Her beautiful hair rippled from the breeze softly as her soft caramel eyes so gingerly relaxed on her boy who ran. The small child laughed innocently as his yellow shirt fluttered while he leapt up into his mothers arm. The woman grasped his back and slid her hand under his calves to keep him balanced. "Hello! So how is my little Joey doing?"

The little boy giggled as he threw his arms around his mother's neck, "In kindergarten to-day we had a field trip to route 30 to see the wild pokemon!"

"Oh! How wonderful!" The woman laughed along with her boy as she tenderly ruffled his hair.

"Mam, we need to finish this." A man from behind said gravely. Joey craned around to look over his mother's shoulder to take a view of the stranger. He was older, his black hair was peppered with grey hair running about while on the bridge of his bony nose was a resting pair of dark wire glasses. He was dressed formally, black pants that brushed his loafers while around his neck was a simple navy blue tie which tucked into a stone-grey vest. What Joey found most peculiar though was a white lab coat opened and the clipboard in his hands.

Though the man first came off different than what Joey was used to, he soon recognized the type of person it was. "Doctor!" He twisted his head up to look at his mother whose face went from a delicate smile to a cold, almost sorrowful, expression. "Was mommy having a check up? Mommy is healthy of course! She always is!"

Not answering her son, the mother set Joey back to the ground, though weaved her fingers with his. "I already know. Please, just not in front of my child."

The doctor seemed unfazed by the toddler whose cheeks puffed out in confusion. "Mrs. Smith, the tumor must be dealt with so not to spread further. We have already set up an appointment with the hospital for your first radiation session in three days. After that you will have to go there every other day to keep it up."

"I know." The mother's voice grew dark as she spun around. Her face quickly changed as she gazed upon little Joey, "Come! Today you and mommy get to go get our hair cut!" She looked to her husband with a shadow in her eyes, "Thanks for dropping him off. I know you still have work."

The father of Joey waved his wife off, "Oh, come Joann! I understand with everything now that you want to spend as much time as you can with him!"

The six year old boy leapt into his mother's small silver Dodge car, strapping into his child-safety seat behind the drivers. Joann slid in after waving off to her husband and started the engine. They took a short drive to the near hair dressers and Joey only had to have a few snips trim and shaping before he was finished, skipping back to the seats lined across the windows to wait for his mother.

When Joann was finally finished, Joey's jaw dropped, "Where is all of mommy's pretty hair?" He asked in shock. The woman who walked up no longer had her beautiful locks of chocolate hair and she was digging though her purse. Still, she gave off a happy facade as she pulled out a baseball cap. It was blue with a white bill and she fixed it to her head.

Looking at her son she beamed brightly, "Well don't you look spiffy!" Her voice as light as a Pidgey feather falling, "Mommy just wanted to try something new for a change!"

Gently she grabbed her son's little hand, which was the size of a skipping stone compared to hers. Joey didn't say much after that. When he got home, Joey watched some TV and had some food for dinner. Nothing too memorable. Well, except after he was tucked into bed.