02. Once Upon A Tavern

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

jolly sailor bold
chapter two , once upon a tavern

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

         A FOUL STENCH of cheap ale lingered in the dingy atmosphere of the decrepit tavern nestled away in one of the most gruesome corners of Narrowhaven

         A FOUL STENCH of cheap ale lingered in the dingy atmosphere of the decrepit tavern nestled away in one of the most gruesome corners of Narrowhaven. The only way for one to see in the space was with winced eyes, so as to avoid the sting of cigar smoke as it ascended in wisps before remaining stagnant in the air. 

A low rumble of chatter echoed around the walls of taverns as multiple groups of — predominately — men hunched over their tankards, conniving in one way or another.

         There was only the light of a few candles with the stray beams of daylight that fought their way through cracks in the doors and window shutters. Even though the small port was riddled with crime, it seemed it was better to keep it behind closed doors during the day.

         That and, of course, the light of the embers off the end of cigars that occasionally flickered and fell onto the peeling tabletops, only to be furiously extinguished by their smokers.

        Mira was quick to press her sleeve upon the embers that fell upon the tabletop before Tirian, who nonchalantly let out a puff of smoke amidst a laugh at the disgruntled look on the face of the girl beside him. She had never liked the smell of smoke.

The scene around her brought much nostalgia to the blonde bandit as she sat tucked away in a corner of the tavern beside Tirian and Zardeenah. Of course, it would.

Mira was sorry to see the state of her father's tavern since his disappearance and her desertion. What was once a comforting, homely place, now dripped with hostility and danger. A transformation that was much like the one Mira had undergone herself.